3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 10:28 PM by johnk

Imaging tablet devices with a single USB ethernet adapter

johnk Apprentice

Hi,

Couldn't find any questions specifically for this.

We purchased some tablet devices that we would like to image using a USB ethernet adapter.

Our imaging process uses machines pre-imported into Landesk with csvimport.exe:

Machine Name, MAC, Serial

Reason for this is that we insert variables into the unattend.xml file to set the machine-name and join it onto the domain

if I use csvimport.exe and set all the MAC address' to use the same ethernet controller then when importing these, each machine in the list would overwrite each other.

My question is what is the best way to go about imaging these machines?

I'm going to import them using the wireless MAC address and report back if this worked

• 1. Re: Imaging tablet devices with a single USB ethernet adapter
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

As long as you have your duplicate detection set to MAC address AND Device name have to match, you should be safe. Are the tablets UEFI or traditional BIOS? With UEFI your trick won't work, because you need to schedule the provisioning templates first to be picked up by the PXE booting template. With traditional BIOS this might work, because you can boot to WinPE using the F8 menu, and Provisiong (at least up to 9.5) used SerialNumber to uniquely identify a device, not just the MAC address.

Frank

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Imaging tablet devices with a single USB ethernet adapter
            johnk Apprentice

Hi Frank,

Yep I checked this also and duplicate is set to MAC and Device Name to change, the issue isn't when scanning it's when provisioning, in the unattend.xml file we inject %ldHostname% as the computer name. Every new machine we image uses the ldhostname from the last machine imaged

for example.

Import all machines into Landesk via csv

Image Machine 1 - Machine Joins domain etc.. shuts down all OK

Image Machine 2 - Machine uses ldhostname of previous machine joins domain and breaks machine 1

Image Machine 3 - Machine uses ldhostname of previous machine joins domain and breaks machine 2 etc...

So it's binding to the MAC when provisioning. I've been thinking that I might need another solution instead of using %ldHostname%

Thanks

• 3. Re: Imaging tablet devices with a single USB ethernet adapter
              johnk Apprentice

Hi Frank,

What I ended up doing was change the way we run provisioning. We use the settings that we grab in BIOS to set the computer name i.e. serial number

Thanks