3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 7:42 AM by Jared Barneck

Help needed with adding a static route to the LDMG ISO 8.7

Apprentice

Hello,

I need help with adding a static route to my LDMG 8.7 ISO installation.

I read the how-to on this forum, but the outcome isn't what I wanted to be. Our network administrator gave me the command to add the appropriate route:

route add –net 0.0.0.0 gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

When I give the "route" command I get this (second line):

Kernel IP routing table

Destination     Gateway              Genmask           Flags     Metric     Ref     Use     Iface

172.28.0.0      *                         255.255.240.0     U           0            0        0         eth0

default            xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  0.0.0.0                UG        0            0        0         eth0

Now I try to edit the /etc/init.d/network file. The how-to says to add a line in the "Start" section. I don't seem to find the right "Start" setting. Which one do I need?

I have a "# Start all network interfaces" which has a ;;-line.

I have a "$ start" at the end of the file which has a ;;-line.

Furthermore, the syntax in the example in the how-to is "ip route add 10.10.10.0/24 dev eth0 via 192.168.0.1". Taking the command line I got from my network admin, is this the right syntax for to suite my needs? If so, which IP goes where?

Sorry about these questions, but my Linux knowledge is limited and I'm expected to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

Mark