6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 9:47 AM by mfontaine

CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty

Apprentice

Hello,

When creating an incident in here, the user have 2 options for selecting the RaiseUser: either an internal user or an external user.

Internal user are found in the user business objects, so their no problem here. The issue is when they select external user, we don't have a list of them, so I have a different attribute to get their name where is enter manually.

The problem I have, is when I open an incident with an external user, the system also fill up the RaiseUser automatically with the CurrentUser, even if the field is empty. I want to change this behavior, either to find a way to leave the field empty or set a default username like "external user". I just can't find where I can do this change. I tried to set a default value under Incident management - Incident, RaiseUser attribute, but it didn't work, it still getting the CurrentUser.

Anyone can help me on this one?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
          ITSMMVPGroup

raise user will be filled in for you automatically and I don't think you can change this behavior.But depending on how you get people to select internal or external, you could perhaps use a dynamic window calculation to display either one or the other attribute, but not both.  How do people select whether the user is internal or external as that isn't an OOTB feature?

• 2. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
            Apprentice

Hello dhshimself,

I actually use dynamic window, so yes, only one of them are shown, but even if only the external are shown, the internal attribute still exist, and get fill up on save with the CurrentUser.

After save, the analyst still have the option to change the user, so they can switch back to internal afterward, and the fields are already fill up with the created user. Also, for query, they always associated the raiseuser, which I would prefer to show "external user" rather than the created user.

• 3. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
              ITSMMVPGroup

You could detect the external-ness in the process and then use a windowless action to set the raise user to be the value you want.  Setting it to be the same as the person who creates is is standard LDSD functionality, so you'll need to work round that,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
                aparker Employee

Dave is right, Service Desk behaviour is to define the Raise User as the person who clicked Save if it is not explicitly defined. You will need to add a condition into the process that detects that the 'external' field has a value and, if it does, execute an update action on the main process object to set the Raise User to 'External User'. I would set up this user as a Contact in your system, but make sure it has some context as far as a company and customer group is concerned otherwise you may get an error.

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
                  Apprentice

I understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to do it. I'm not really good with process. I did put a condition to check if the user is external, but I don't know how to do the "windowless action" to set the user to the "External User" I created. I though it would be an "Automatic Action Instance", when I click on it, it bring me to my Incident Window, but when I set the raiseuser to "External User", it disappear after I saved it. I probably do something wrong, maybe your guys can help me out?

• 6. Re: CurrentUser being the default value for RaiseUser when empty
                    Apprentice

Thanks guys for your help, finally the process wasn't really what I needed because the raiseuser can be change anytime, so I did complicate this a lot more!

I create 3 attributes, Hided from Windows:

One for BlankUser (attribute related with user, default blank)

One for ExternalUser (attribute related with user, default ExternalUser)

One for CalcUser (Calculation, before save, which detect if my boolean attribute external user is true or false, if it's true, is value = Externaluser else BlankUser)

Than I add a copy rule for Incident, which copy CalcUser on update to the RaiseUser field.

It's working 80% of the time, I have some bug when I switch a lot from External and Internal user, sometime I have to save twice before it get the right information, but it the best way I got it so far to make it work.