5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2008 8:53 AM by ejz

Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications

Apprentice

I have created a Virtual Application for WinZip11.2  then

I created a virtual application package in the  Distribution Package  and i dont what are all additional files i have to include for that package

I am not asking specifica;;y for WInzip GIve Example For any Package

And How to install in a Client System using LAndesk

• 1. Re: Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Assuming you captured WinZip with the LANDesk application virtualiser, it's pretty simple - and it's the same for any package.

Step 1 - Configuring the package.

1.1 - Go to TOOLS -> DISTRIBUTION -> DISTRIBUTION PACKAGES

1.2 - Go to "My packages" or public - as you prefer.

1.3 - Create a NEW distribution package (right-click) and select "New Virtualized Application Package"

1.4 - Configure things as usual. Note the important addition of the "SHORTCUT" section.

Step 2 - Pushing the package out - this is normal software distribution. Push - Pull - whatever. As you prefer.

As you see - quite simple.

==============

NOTE - it's not so much "installing" as "getting the file to the clients". If you want, you can just copy a shortcut to the clients, and have the app sit on a network share. That works too (but beware of network bandwidth usage).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications
            zman Master

Looking at your screenshot and I created a virtual application package in the Distribution Package and

i don't what are all additional files i have to include for that package are you asking if you have to include the %folders% in your package? The answer is no. There folders are only needed for the build batch to create the ExE. So if you follow Paul's instruction you will be fine. The only question you really need to ask is local or remote execution of the EXE.  Both have benefits and pitfalls (quick and dirty)

Local (EXE runs from the local hard drive)

• Don't have to worry about off network clients (laptops, etc...) Out of Bands will not have access to the application

• Better performance

• No network issues with streaming

Remote (EXE runs of a remote share)

• Easier to update. Only have to update the share not all workstations.

• Easier to manage uninstalls/SLM stuff.

• Files can't be corrupted, deleted, etc...

• Have to worry about bandwidth network issues.

Either way it works  Here is a nice utility to help with your projects http://thinstallhelper.cis-group.nl/

• 3. Re: Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications
              Apprentice

Thank you for your Reply

Actually what i want is How to deploy the Virtualized application to the Client System

I have searched for the Best Known method for Deploying Virtualized applications but i am not able to find one

So i asked for any example of deployment

Eventhough i know the process of deploying the Packages,i have the document for that to clarify my error in Package Deployment

But for the Virtualized application i dont have one

Can any one give Example of Deploying the any virtualized  software  (that is step by step process)

pls help me!!

Thanks in Advance

• 4. Re: Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications
                zman Master

As Paul indicated above it is almost identical to the normal process of deploying an exe.   Here is the info from the LANDesk Help file:

Distributing virtualized applications

Virtualized applications generally consist of one or more executable files. You can use software distribution to deploy these virtualized application executables to managed devices. You can use any of the software distribution delivery methods with virtualized application packages, including run from source. When you deploy a run from source virtualized application package, managed devices use a application shortcut icon to run the virtualized application executable over the network.

To create a virtualized application package

Use LANDesk Application Virtualization to create your virtualized application executable.

Click Tools | Distribution | Distribution Packages.

From the shortcut menu of the package group you want, click New distribution package | New virtualized application package.

In the Distribution package dialog, enter the package information and change the options you want. Note that you must enter the package name, description, and primary file. For more information on each page, click Help.

The Shortcut page is the only page specific to virtualized applications. Enter the shortcut icon Name. You can also specify if you want the icon on the Desktop and/or in the Start menu. If you check Start menu, you also can enter the Programs folder name that will contain the shortcut. The folder path you enter appears under All programs.

Click OK when you're done. Your script appears under the tree item for the package type and owner you selected.

When you deploy a virtualized application, software distribution copies the executable(s) to this folder on managed devices:

%programfiles%\LANDesk\VirtualApplications\<distribution source path>.

The full virtualized application path includes the software distribution source path to help prevent problems with duplicate filenames. For example, if your distribution source path was vapps\myapp.exe, the path on managed devices would be %programfiles%\LANDesk\VirtualApplications\vapps\myapp.exe.

You can change the default virtualized application path if necessary in the Agent configuration dialog's Software distribution page.

Some virtualized applications require multiple executables. If that's the case, you can create a separate distribution package for these additional virtualized application executables. Then, when you create a distribution package for the main virtualized application executable, you can then include any additional dependent executables packages as dependencies. That way, if the dependent executables aren't already there, they'll be installed automatically.

Dependent executables need to be in the same shared folder when the distribution packages are created. This ensures that the dependent packages are distributed to the same folder on the managed device. If the dependent executables aren't in the same folder on the managed device they won't run.

The first time someone runs a virtualized application on a device, the "Thinstall runtime license agreement" dialog appears. Users need to click Continue to run the virtualized application. Users should only have to do this once.

• 5. Re: Can any one  give example of how to deploy the Virtual applications
                  Rookie

The last three versions of ThinApp from VMWare didn't have the Landesk hooks in them, and any application created using these versions can not be deployed using Landesk...See the following thread:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2987

May want to check on the version you used to create the application.