8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2015 9:41 AM by Spartan

Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot

Apprentice

Hi,

We are also having issues as described in this thread - Lenovo Tablet2 provisioning.  I have found that as we are using the Lenovo USB Network adaptor and a Powered USB Hub, the MAC Address of 5 tablets are now the same (these were not built with LANDESK) unfortunately this means that now I am trying to build and capture with LANDESK it is not working.

I cant delete the devices as they are valid Devices, but the MAC Address is duplicated.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Adam

LANDave

MarXtar

• 1. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
          Spartan Apprentice

Hi Adam,

I'm sure there are far better ways of dealing with this problem, but my quick fix (which I have yet to make more elegant) was to disable the USB device in question then run an Inventory Scan which in turn cleared off the Network adapter and its MAC address.

There are many ways of disabling the device (I used a program called DevManView Alternative to device manager of Windows)

My Dirty solution... In the final provisioning stage:

1. Copied the Devmanview.exe to [%%windir%%\DevManView.exe] and ran the following batch file  (Some times in the case of the LAN7500 our adapter would show up as #2 so I just disable both and hoped for the best)

@echo off
          echo Attempting to disable attached USB Network adapters
          %windir%\DevManView.exe /disable "LAN7500 USB 2.0 to Ethernet 10/100/1000 Adapter #2"
          %windir%\DevManView.exe /disable "LAN7500 USB 2.0 to Ethernet 10/100/1000 Adapter"
          %windir%\DevManView.exe /disable "Thinkpad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter"
          echo Running Inventory Scan
          "%LDMS_LOCAL_DIR:~0,-5%\LDIScn32.EXE" /NTT=STSVS-LDMSC1:5007 /S=STSVS-LDMSC1  /I=HTTP://STSVS-LDMSC1/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /F
          echo USB Network Adapter has been removed and an updated Inventory Scan has been send to the core.

You will want to uncheck "Stop processing the template if this action fails" in order to prevent errors (as this will effectively sever the device from the provisioning task).

As mentioned this is not pretty but at the time I had over 400 machines to provision quickly and since this just kind of works I never cleaned it up =oP

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions

-Sylvain

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
            Apprentice

Thanks Spartan Im not sure that will help me (forgive me if I am wrong)

As you can see below, these tablets have the same MAC Address.  This is the address of the adaptop and where built a long time ago meaning they have had several Inventory Scans ran and this hasnt changed.

Will your suggestion work? I want these to remain in LDMS but cant see how I can provision using the network adaptor.

Adam

• 3. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
              Spartan Apprentice

That's a little odd indeed,  I would have expected the inventory scan to clear the USB adapter / MAC address if the device is no longer connected.

Are all of these devices regularly sharing the same USB network adapter?   If not, are your updated hardware scans getting through to your core? 

Unfortunately I'm not onsite today so I can't do any testing =o(

For the time being, you could manually change the MAC address on the other 4 Machines and run Inventory scans which should leave you with a unique MAC (in order to move ahead with your image capture).

As this is just a software override changing the MAC address on the "source" machine would be pointless.

If the USB NIC is not being shared amongst the devices please have a peek at the last HW scan date on these devices and let me know if they are current.

-Sylvain

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
                jhackett SupportEmployee

Adam,

Have you tried deleting them and then running this from the client?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\LDISCN32.EXE" /V /F /Sync

They should show up in the inventory and have the incorrect MAC removed.

Jared

• 5. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
                  Apprentice

OK, the plot thins slightly.  It appears that when you run the inventory scan from the client it updates the MAC address as it should and removes the duplicate.  I unfortunately cannot run a Full Sync Scan from the core on these devices as it cannot see them?

It seems that as these are tablets and sometimes not in use / asleep that a manual scan from the core wont work.

I will have to find the users of these devices and run an inventory scan, hopefully this will wipe out the MAC address leaving the adaptor for builds again.

Thanks for the help throughout, this is a new process within our environment and it looks like a manual scan from the device without the USB adaptor in after it has been built will fix it afterall.

Thank you Spartan jhackett

• 6. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
                    Spartan Apprentice

If that's the case in order to move ahead with your build you can do as jhackett suggested and delete the other devices from the core, as they will repopulate in the core once they successfully scan.

• 7. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
                      Apprentice

Thank you, I am just concerned that our Asset Manager will not approve as this.  Will deleting them from the core not lose its history?

• 8. Re: Lenovo Tablet 2 duplicate Mac address, unable to PXE Boot
                        Spartan Apprentice

This is true,  probably best to wait for the updated scans  =o(     

Still find it a little odd that these machines have been in your end users hands for a while and have not updated the hardware.

But then again we have some pretty aggressive scan schedules in our environment,  we are a School and have concerns with students tampering with the equipment.