4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 2:40 AM by AlasdairC

Outbound Email Attachments in Request Management From a Service?

Apprentice

The Request Management process we have is driven by a Service which defines various bits and bobs for each type of Request. (Authorisation levels / costs / Documentation etc.)

What I'm trying to achieve is to generate a reminder to the Raise User with a Policy / Guidance form attached to the email.

In 7.8 I'm using the new Multiple Attachments control to populate the document sets on each service but the problem I'm having is generating the attachments for the reminder.

Email Attachments In RM Process from Service.JPG

I've added a multiple attachment attribute to our Reminder Object and put it on the Reminder window. However, when I go to insert this into Process Designer I cannot see the Multiple Attachment attributed on the Service in the Run-time Controls in the tree list. (Though I can see some attributes from the Service)

So I thought about bringing the Multiple Attachment attribute into the Request Object. I can't use a calculation as there's no option to do that and if I try to use a Copy Field Rule to bring it across, I cannot see the Multiple Attachment control in the pick list again. (Again I can see some attributes from the Service)

Is there a way of getting the Multiple Attachments from the Service to the Reminder Window within process using a placeholder or other technique, or do they have to be added manually each time to the Request Object?

• 1. Re: Outbound Email Attachments in Request Management From a Service?
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

I hope you get an answer because this is exactly was I was hoping to do for a new process being developed.  Could you keep us all in the loop?

• 2. Re: Outbound Email Attachments in Request Management From a Service?
            Apprentice

dmshimself I saw you name appear in my email and got all excited thinking you'd cracked the solution.

Yes, if and when I get this sorted I'll post the result here.

Alasdair.

• 3. Re: Outbound Email Attachments in Request Management From a Service?
              Jenny.Lardh SupportEmployee

Hi Alasdair,

What Object have you added the Multi Attachment Attribute on for the Configuration Item? If you have added this on the Service Object directly then you probably won't be able to see the attribute in the list as it's most likely linked to the Configuration Item Object.

You will need to create the Multi Attachment Attribute on the Configuration Item Object in Object Designer. This will allow you to add the attribute to the Service window as this is a child Object or Configuration Item.

When you then right click and select Value type on your Request Reminder, you can select Request/Configuration Item/Multiple Attachment Attribute.

Kind Regards,

Jenny

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Outbound Email Attachments in Request Management From a Service?
                Apprentice

Hi Dave, dmshimself

You asked to be kept in the loop on this so here's a quick end of week update.

Jenny's advice above enabled me to reference the attribute from the service. (Thanks Jenny! )

Unfortunately I hit further problems in actually implementing this which I logged with our support:-

When trying to use a placeholder for the multiple attachments on the Reminder window I got  a Type Mismatch error, despite both the source and target fields being the same type. I've received notification today this has been acknowledged as Problem 6100.

I also had an issue with the Multiple Attachment control on the service where I was keeping it hidden unless a Boolean was ticked. Once ticked the Boolean made the Multiple Attachment control visible and mandatory. Files could be added fine, but if the nature of the service changed and the files were to be removed, I could take the files off the Multiple Attachment control, untick the Boolean, but could not save the updated Service, because the Multiple Attachment control still thought it was mandatory, but empty ie. had no files attached to it. This was acknowledged as Problem 6097.

Alasdair