11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 8:58 AM by phoffmann

System waiting for instructions from the core...

Rookie

We've migrate from 8.6 -> 8.8

Right now I'm trying to use my images I build. I'm usind PXE boot. So I'm able to log on to "Linux PE menu". Then it takes me to the scripts. I see them and can choose it. But no matter which script I choose I have folowing error. 

System waiting for instructions from the core...

type: 'reboot<enter>' to reboot the system

Please advise. 

• 1. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
          Jason SupportEmployee

The most common cause for this in LinuxPE is Name resolution.

See post config step 2 starting on page 22 of the following Doc.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1694

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
            Rookie

I modify .cfg files but still have same issue.

What else i can try? 

• 3. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
              Jason SupportEmployee

in the cfg file make sure that the corename is resolveable in linux might need to use FQDN. Also make sure that your cert file is for 8.8 and not a older install of LDMS.

• 4. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
                Rookie

Thanks Jason!

Yep I checked that. This morning I was with LANDest</span> support and we've done this steps.

Seems like I have problem with mapping in Linux. I went to shell and when I try to map a drive by hand I get following error:

bash: !<span style="border: 0pt none;margin: 0pt;padding: 0pt;background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: bold;line-height: normal;font-size-adjust: none;font-stretch: normal;-x-system-font: none;position: static;-moz-background-clip: -moz-initial;-moz-background-origin: -moz-initial;-moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;text-align: left;text-indent: 0pt;text-transform: none;text-decoration: underline;cursor: pointer">f,workgroup</span>=<span style="border: 0pt none;margin: 0pt;padding: 0pt;background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: bold;line-height: normal;font-size-adjust: none;font-stretch: normal;-x-system-font: none;position: static;-moz-background-clip: -moz-initial;-moz-background-origin: -moz-initial;-moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;text-align: left;text-indent: 0pt;text-transform: none;text-decoration: underline;cursor: pointer">maydomainname</span>: event not found

Any Ideas why?

P.S. LANDeskrefuse to givesupport on Linux??? I think it's not good attitude</span>

• 5. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Urm - what do you call this thread if not "offering support". Not quite sure how this is "refusing" to give support ...?

If you feel you have difficulties in getting through with your case, there's processes to escalate your issue with management, but I hardly see any of this stuff as "refusing to support" ...?

Also - if you're having problems mapping drives, you may want to check your policies on your Core (or whatever mapped server) - there's a LOT you can break by policies (and leaving default policies) - the Deployment Guides state a fair few things in this regard - check the chapter with the "Preparing a Windows 2003 Server for a Management Suite core server installation" subject line.

That usually sorts out common problems in terms of "why I can't map/connect to my Core in OSD" (most of the policy settings are specifically needed for OSD).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 6. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
                    Rookie

Hello Paul!

I don't want to discuss on public what exactly I was told from LANDesk support. But If you want we can discuss it via private conversation or email.  I think you'll be interested to hear feedback. 

I'll check "Preparing a Windows 2003 Server for a Management Suite core server installation. Thank you.

• 7. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...

Thank you, that's appreciated. I prefer not seeing forums turn into flame/bitch-matches :).

Since you're quite disparate from my own time-zone I'll get one of the managers more regional to you to contact you.

I've got your e-mail (and found you in our records), so you can edit your post and remove your mail-address, so that you're spared the scourge of bots farming forums for addresses (some of them get quite clever these days, aggravatingly enough).

Let me know if you don't hear from us in the next couple of days, and I'll follow up with the people who should be contacting you :).

P.S.: (Good thing too, as I've just spotted a typo in your e-mail address) :).

Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
                        Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Best Known Method for Deploying Windows XP using Linux PE has a lot of info in there.

What is you skill level in Linux?  I am not trying to be rude, I just need to know if you would recognize it if you entered a typo or not.

If typed in the correct syntax of mount to map a drive and mount gives you some error, then it is most like an error with the environment.  If it is throwing a domain error, it may not be able to resolve you domain name.  However, I looks more like syntax error to me.

When you mount, you just need the domain name, not the top level domain (tld).  For example, with domain.tld, you only need domain.

mount -t smbfs -o username=MyUser,password=MyPassword,workgroup=domain //server/share /mnt

See, I did not put Domain.tld, but just domain.

I mount drives all the time in LinuxPE and I have never seen that error.

• 10. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...
                          Rookie

Thanks everybody for help.

I have to take my words back. LANDesk provided excellent me support after I

made a post here .

• 11. Re: System waiting for instructions from the core...

Glad to hear that it all worked out then.

All's well that ends well (in this case at any rate) :).

Paul Hoffmann