3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 11:52 AM by gwhitt

9.6 SP1 - Provision OS use multicast

Ryechz Apprentice

I am  having trouble getting multicast imaging to work in 9.6 SP1.  I get two different results.

I have two different templates that have the same exact steps, each has a slightly different outcome.

1. ImageW get's copied from the core to c:, then multicasted, then the template errors asking for me to insert c:\win81.tbi.  Basically, the image does not get copied to the c: drive from the preferred server.

2. ImageW get's copied from the core to C:, then multicasted, then the image get's copied, then multicasted, imaging starts, finishes, then the C: partition get's wiped and the system reboots and only has the reserved partition and no OS partition.

I cannot find a best practices document anywhere.  Does anyone have this setup and working?

Ryan.

• 1. Re: 9.6 SP1 - Provision OS use multicast
          Rookie

We just start seeing this crop up after we deployed a new provisioning server was a resolution ever found?

• 2. Re: 9.6 SP1 - Provision OS use multicast
            Ryechz Apprentice

We abandoned the idea since we could not get it working before our large provisioning project.  We ended up patching the computers as is instead of re-imaging them since we could not get the process polished.  We didn't have a lot of time to prepare, so that was a factor too.  We haven't tried multicasting the image since and are also moving away from ImageW and to ImageX as we found a way of using Bitlocker to encrypt the Windows partition before we lay down the image so that when it get's laid down it is already encrypted.  This is only possible with a file based imaging tool like ImageX.

• 3. Re: 9.6 SP1 - Provision OS use multicast
              Rookie

We found the template need to change how the drive was being partitioned and also found we had missed putting server in as FQDN in the image path in at the same time. We changed from the custom partition that had been copied from older template to the new created default partitions. The issue only showed up on new computers from dell something about the default partitioning scheme from dell was messing with the old partition setup we had.