10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2008 1:34 AM by nvs

Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)

Rookie

Hi all

When installing/upgrading to the new agent from 8.7 to 8.8,

the installation takes a long time to complete,especially when it executes the  following command line:>> Executing 'C:Program Files\LDClient\vulscan.exe /compliance2 /showui=false /install' <<

So I need help on how to speed up the installation of landesk agent on client pc

NB: it takes over 20 minutes

• 1. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

20 minutes seems a bit excessively long.

But yes, you COULD just configure to NOT have a vulscan run during agent install - we do this to ensure that the device sends as much information to the Core "at install" as possible, so that when you have a new client, we have as much info on it as possible.

Also ... that's part of the 802.1x component (if you check your Agent_configuration_Name.INI file in your LDLOGON) ... are you installing 802.1X as well?

Also, as you'll see (in the [http://LANDesk 802.1x Support Post Copy|http://LANDesk 802.1x Support Post Copy]-section, there's two vullscans that run ... it's all to do with hauling in HIPS-related stuff.

I would NOT advise commenting this out, since this sends compliance information on ... you COULD (via a ";" - semi-colon), but since you're installing 802.1x support, this is somewhat going to be needed for you, I would imagine...

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
            Rookie

well I am not useing LANDesk 802.1x Support as for today and I don't think we are going to use it in the near future

But I am still lost or can't understand the infoyou gave me!!!

you are advicing me not to comment a line with one

are you taking of this one

; NOTE: run here for making sure inventory scan run before and has time to put node in database

(W2K, XP, VISTA)EXEC05=%DEST%\vulscan.exe, /compliance2 /showui=false /install, INSTALLONLY

• 3. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)

Hrmm - you don't use 802.1x ... so why's it enabled?

OK - do the following - with the following files (all in your Core's LDLOGON share):

- NTSTACFG.IN#

- (Your_Default_Agent_Configuration).INI

1 - Open the file in NOTEPAD.

2 - Search for "802.1x" - this should get you to the following string:

EAP=YES, LANDesk 802.1x Support

This should be a "YES" on account of you installing it - intentionally or no.

Change the "YES" to a "NO", so you end up with:

EAP=NO, LANDesk 802.1x Support

3 - Save the file

4 - After making this change in the NTSTACFG.IN# file, go back into the ManagementSuite directory and run STAMPER.EXE - this will ensure that the changed setting will be carried through to the NTSTACFG.INI and - then - any new agent configurations you create.

This disables you installing the 802.1x components (and as a result, running the compliance-vulscan which is taking you 20 minutes).

It's quite possible that the 20 minutes are a timeout where we're looking for a posture server & such which don't exist in your environment.

Let me know if you need more help here :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
                Rookie

This line bellow has been and is still on ON all this time

so why are you saying that I have  LANDesk 802.1x Support enabled, am I missing something?   ?:| I am getting lost

for infor here are the products I install

CBA=YES, Common Base Agent

RC=YES, Remote Control

ESD=YES, Enhanced Software Distribution

DCF=NO, Data Collection Forms

EMT=YES, Enable Migration Tasks

LTA=NO, LANDesk Trust Agent

LAV=NO, LANDesk Antivirus

XDD=NO, LANDesk Extended UDD

WAT=YES, Watcher

HIP=NO, LANDesk HIPS

MON=NO, Monitor

CMF=NO, Common Monitor

ASD=NO, Asic Driver

• 5. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)

Ah - a mistake on my part, my apologies.

The section where the command runs was - I thought - in [LANDesk 802 Support Post Copy] ... which it isn't (hence my mistaken thought of you installing 802.1x).

Not sure if I've been tired or what I've been looking at, but it's in the [Watcher Post Copy] section - so installs as part of Agent Watcher.

rubs chin

Curious ... not quite sure why it's in there... the "/compliance2" scan is for IPSEC and 802.1x ... bit curious what this is doing in Agent Watcher ... I'll ask around a bit. For now, I reckon you should be OK with commenting the line out (by adding a ";" - semi-colon) in front of the line.

Hmm ... well - I'll try to find out what that's all about ... I don't really see that this should be part of the Agent Watcher :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)

Heh - here we go:

(Link deleted because it won't work)

Voila - there's a patch for just this problem :).

Paul Hoffmann

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
                      ahe Expert

Hello Paul,

it seems thar your link is a dead link...

Regards

Axel

• 8. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)

Ah yes - my mistake.

You'll need to open up a support ticket and request this patch (for now) - CLN-1031288

Alternatively, installing SP1 for LDMS 8.8 will fix this too

Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
                          Rookie

well I have the patch but I think I will apply SP1 before I put the server in production.

and I don't  know why the landesk support team  told me that CLN-1031288 is a beta patch but he still gave it to me

but I will apply the SP1 as it seems it will solve the problem.

I will  give you you points later 

• 10. Re: Can we speed up Landesk 8.8 Agent installation ? (20 minutes is too long)
                            Rookie

I applied the service pack 1 for version 8.8 and all seems working

the installation takes less than 12 minutes(on clients outside the network) and an average of 4 minutes(on client inside the network and visible the by the coreserver).