11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2008 1:49 PM by evv_appdude30

Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1

Rookie

I've been working on a CMD script to update workstations from Lotus Sametime 7.0 to Sametime 8.0.1 version.  The setup.bat file IBM supplied with the software provides a complex command line running an MSI built SETUP.EXE file with numerous switches that works flawlessly while logged in to Windows, but craps out when trying to run pre-gina.  It bombs without an error, terminates my script without advancing further or waiting the full timeout set up for application installations (20 minutes, it bombs about 2-3 minutes into it).  The log file it creates (install.log) is no help.  I'm desperately trying to automate the process, as manually installing the update for 150-200 clients (and rising) would be a LOT more work than tweaking the package. Plus it introduces more human factor into it than I want: I've got a document for the manual process, and our technicians are good, but I don't want to put extra work on them if I can help it, and my instructions are a bit arduous.  Suggestions or tips?

Thanks!!

Erick

• 1. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - the first thing I would do is ask IBM "so - what do you have for automated deployment of this package" ?

Then there's checking www.appdeploy.com for information on problems with this package.

Another thing you could try is to re-package the whole thing with installtailor from Wise. Interestingly, I've been informed at a recent user event that Installtailor can help in getting MSI's to be "really silent" even if they alone through LANDesk wouldn't be (by re-packaging them). You can get some "helpful" information on it here:

http://wise-installtailor.software.informer.com/

Note that there ARE some applications which flat out have problems when run in LOCAL SYSTEM context - I seem to remember some AutoCAD's being among these candidates - and in that case you pretty much have to go talk to the vendor or re-package the darn thing :(.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
            Rookie

Sometimes adding "ALLUSERS=1" to the install line works.

example

msiexec.exe /i"example.msi" /qn ALLUSERS=1

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
              Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions, Paul.  I'd actually started at AppDeploy looking for ways to automate it, but everything I found was for 7.0 or 7.5 versions of Sametime.  I hadn't posted to their boards yet, though - I have now.  I have tried repackaging with LANDesk PB 8.8 but nothing else.  I may check out installtailor too - what's the $ involved, and how does their support measure up?

IBM supplied the BAT file, so I will get with my application owner for an IBM contact - it's complicated, we control the desktops, another group controls the network file servers, another controls the iSeries servers, and another controls the Notes/Sametime administration.  Such are the ways of a large enterprise.

I'll post any updates when progress has been made.  Keep the suggestions coming, everyone - as I have little faith in the combination of IBM and my application owner.

Erick

• 4. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                Rookie

Thanks, Adam.  I have several switches in the command line currently, but I hadn't tried the ALLUSERS yet.  Sounds like something easy enough to try.

Erick

• 5. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

I can't give you estimates on $$-cost of installtailor - I've got their (last) free version (6.0) that you may be able to find via the www, or push come shove I'll see if I can get it to you somehow. Since it was freely available, it shouldn't be an issue.

At present it's - as I understand - part of a bigger package, and since they're (a) 3rd party and (b) a competitor company (in the greater scheme of things) I'm afraid I won't be able to say much more really. Also I've no idea as to their support - the free version I use either works or doesn't, I'm generally not expecting to get any support on free downloads - so never needed it so far.

Let us know how it keeps going - the biggest source of information is likely going to be IBM themselves, since they (should) know what's changed in their install (if anything) and how to get it automated (I'm sure you'd not be the first person to try and automate this) :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 6. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                    Rookie

Thanks again, Paul.  Your recommendation and endorsements carry a lot of weight with me.  I'll definitely try to get an answer from IBM, and will also look into finding a free or reasonably cheap version of installtailor as it sounds potentially helpful, even if not in this instance.

Erick

• 7. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                      ahe Expert

Hello Erick,

try this link: Installing the Sametime client

Regards

Axel

• 8. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                        Rookie

Thanks, Axel.  I'd already seen a text or PDF version of this, and had used it to build the third option which does work while logged in.  It could be that I need to more fully state the path of INIs and the like in the switches when installing pre-gina, come to think of it.  I am also leaning toward doing a copy to c:\temp and running from there instead of a software share except that the install is HUGE (beween 90 MB and 100 MB).  That method may work well to allow manual installs or repairs.  Thoughts?

Erick

• 9. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                          Rookie

Did you try the ALLUSers flag?  I had this same issue installing DB2 which is an IBM product.  Is landesk saying the distribution failed or are you just not seeing it installed?

• 10. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                            Rookie

I got it figured out!!  I had to map u: as part of my CMD batch, since MSI installs seem to want that mapping to exist.  I also did add the ALLUSERS=1 to the setup.exe command line with all the other switches (not sure if I had to, but it didn't crash).  Now all I have to do is incorporate the Windows firewall exception for the new version of Sametime and probably let the user know pre-populating the username in the XML config file is not worth the trouble because it populates once they type it the first time and stays there.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!!

• 11. Re: Stubborn package - IBM Lotus Sametime 8.0.1
                              Rookie

The application owner said IBM wouldn't have helped because they don't support custom installations.  I'm not sure I buy that, but maybe our IBM rep didn't like working with him and always used that as a blow off answer, or that's what I suspect.