5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2015 1:58 PM by Mroche

Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications

Rookie

Hello,

I'm having difficulty getting a reminder email to trigger on creation and closure for the raised user (end user). In both instances on the basic request process flow the new automatic action instance > notification > window box doesn't have the Is Active checked. Unfortunately I cannot checked the box (just doesn't click). I've tried recreating the Automatic Action Instance on the process but the attributes seem to be the same on the object. I've am able to and have checked the Notify Specified Recipients box and have populated the user field with several different test options "recipient, user, even me explicitly" but nothing gets sent. The ticket history pane does have the notifications listed (on open and on close) but the emails aren't going out. Other emails on the same process are being sent (on group and analyst assignment).  We are on the most current version of the product. I'm fairly new with the product but the sequence of the process is attached. Any assistance appreciated. 

ApprovalServiceRequest.JPG

• 1. Re: Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications
          CraigMiddelstadt Master

In object designer under Request Manager | Reminder make sure that the default value of "Is Active" is set to True.  This will ensure that all reminders are active when they are created.  The next thing is to make sure the background processing service and out bound mail services are running and pointed to a valid framework. 

Craig Middelstadt
          Senior ITSM Consultant
          Mobile: (801) 300-3412
          [email protected]

• 2. Re: Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications
            Rookie

Thanks for the response, the value is active (attached below), other messages are getting delivered on "add assignment" for group and individual just not the initial notification (user) under the first decision point and before the close (after fulfilled).  Thinking about using another process and or creating one from scratch but see that this issue pop ups on some of the other processes as well.

ReminderStatus.JPGIsActive2.JPG

• 3. Re: Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications
              CraigMiddelstadt Master

If this is only happening on this process then remove the reminders that have this issue, save the process and re-add them back in.  It's possible that the old reminder had a value of false on the Is Active field.  The other option is to update the reminder window to set this field to ReadWrite instead of readonly and then go into the process and set them all to Active = True by checking this box.

Craig Middelstadt
              Senior ITSM Consultant
              Mobile: (801) 300-3412
              [email protected]

• 4. Re: Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications
                Rookie

I tried removing and recreated the reminders, same issue. The reminders are also set to active. I went into the properties of the reminder window and the protection level is grayed out on "ReadOnly". Of note our SD was upgraded from 7.6 to 7.8 not sure if the objects somehow were modified during the process. Any idea on how to attempt a change on the field as suggested that is locked or grayed out? Thanks for the assistance.

ReminderWindowProperties.JPG

• 5. Re: Unable to check or click the Active box to trigger email notifications
                  Mroche SupportEmployee

The 'Is active' checkbox will be checked by default when the reminder is created.

For the reminders to be emailed they have to have a send date in the past.  The background processing service goes through the reminder tables and looks for reminders that have a send date in the past and 'Is Active' set to true.  It then inserts an entry into the tps_user_message tables for that reminder to be sent by email and sets the 'Is active' flag on the reminder to false indicating that the reminder has been processed.

Check the reminders have been created on the Incident, if they have a send date in the past and the is active checkbox is checked then your background processing service may either be stopped or in error.  Try restarting the Background processing service in Configuration Center and check the application log on the server running the service to see if it is in error.

Assignment notifications are not handled by the background processing service.