7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2015 6:22 AM by tliedtke

OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5

Apprentice

Hey Community,

we are running into a really strange problem when installing drivers in OS provisioning.

Before I start please note that the server with the described problem still runs on 9.6 without SP1.

We already fixed most of the problems we have with SP1 but can not put it into production yet.

Back to topic.

Error Description

When installing a Dell client machine with Win7 x64 we get the following errors:

Opening comuter management: Error that Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher is needed, closes afterwards

Opening MMC manually: Same error

Starting a .exe file: Error that this is prohibited by our internet security settings

Starting Internet Explorer: Instantly starts, flashes a blank website and closes in less than a second

Since we cannot access the event view I can not say what exactly causes the problem.

Reinstalling the Internet Explorer does not work either.

Removing from windows features works but reinstallation from this feature does nothing, no error though.

Manual installation impossible, because we can not use .exe files on those machines.

We did not try tweaking the security options via GPO afterwards but somehow I doubt this will work.

Especially since the OS seems not to recognize the IE already installed on the system.

Problem Sources

Instead of a workaround I am more curious about the root of the problem.

When we install a machine with just a network driver everything works like a charm.

Some random combinations result in the error described above.

Dell OptiPlex 7010: Intel Chipset installation

Dell Precision M6800: Touchpad installation

Dell Precision M4700: AMD Videodriver installation, can't recall the exact graphics card

Touchpad? Maybe. Video driver? Ok. But Intel Chipset...?

Older systems like the Dell Optiplex 780 don't show any problems.

Three Ways of Installing Drivers

As mentioned in the beginning we tried three different ways installing the drivers.

In all cases we downloaded the CAB driver files from the official Dell website and extracted them to a network share.

The share is accessible and downloading works fine.

1) HII in LANDesk

HII in Post-OS installation, uses UNC to access the share.

We did not assign the drivers to specific devices and let LANDesk sort them out.

Result: Did not work well, afterbringing in more Drivers often old devices that worked before showed the mentioned error behavior.

Became not manageable pretty fast when you add more different devices.

2) HII in LANDesk v2

HII in Post-OS installation, uses UNC to access the share.

This time we assigned as much drivers as possible to the computer devices in LANDesk.

Result: Came out to be little better than the first try since we still had the said errors even if the amount was slightly reduced.

3) Copydrivers.exe and dsim.exe

This time we tried to split up the drivers pool so eery device just searches its own files.

To do that we used the tool copydrivers.exe in Post-OS installation with parameter /c from Hardware Independent Imaging - rev 9.1

This way we copy the files for the specific model to C:\Drivers_CAB.

Afterwards dsim.exe kicks in with /image:c:\ /add-driver /driver:"c:\Drivers_CAB" /recurse /forceunsigned

Result: Now we could find out that it seems to be related to some single driver-hardware-combinations.

Note that it does not make any difference if we left out /forceunsigned.

Conclusion

After all I can hardly believe that the drivers are causing this issue even if everything looks like.

Manually installing the drivers works without any problems, so it might be something related to the installation process.

Maybe somebody of you have experienced similar and can provide some usefull hints or solutions to this problem?

I also contacted our local support company here but no luck yet.

• 1. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
          Kenyon Expert

One thing that I have done with Dell machines is load basic drivers like for the the NIC in HII only.Then use the Dell Command Update utility to automatically fill in the rest. The application can be executed without installing it. I place it on a share, make a SD package and execute it as part of the post OS. The utility can be downloaded at Dell Command | Update - Enterprise Client - Wiki - Client and Mobile Solutions - Dell Community . The executable you will want to put into your SD package is dcu-cli.exe.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
            Apprentice

Thanks for the fast reply, Kenyon.

This might actually be worth trying since we already install Dell Command Update on every Machine as fallback solution.

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

However, I am still curious why this error behavior happens in the first place.

• 3. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
              Kenyon Expert

I have have spent so much time chasing drivers and setting up installable drivers. It can be very time consuming to locate the drivers and testing to make sure they are all working correctly. I was hoping the the new driver download in patch (9.6 SP1) would assist but it downloads every driver for all versions of Windows including XP if they are available for a particular model. This of course causes DISM failures during the HII processes unless you clear out the unneeded drivers.

It might be worth a try to use the DCU to at least test if your issue is driver based or not.

• 4. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
                Rookie

I had to remove Touchpad, USB 3.0, chipset drivers due to issues. I have them packaged for installation after the fact with utilities for each model. Touchpad drivers would incorrectly install for different models, Intel USB 3.0 drivers would give me a BSOD with the different revisions of the chipsets and I only install certain Intel Chipset INF's if it was listed as other device and even the Intel DPTF driver had to be removed because of BSOD and had to be added as a utility for Panasonic models.

• 5. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
                  Apprentice

USB 3.0 Driver problems are most likely that the client can not install the whole driver at once.

To avoid BSOD in this case you would need two HII driver installation processes.

First in Post-OS installation and second in System configuration after installation of the (provisioning) agent.

Also you will need an additional reboot after the second HII process.

That is how we avoided most bluescreens.

But could you explain what you mean by untilities in case of driver installations?

Did you package them or do you mean something else?

• 6. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
                    Apprentice

I had some time now to test the Dell Command Update CLI but sadly it does not resolve the problem.

If we try to install a Dell Precision M4600 the installation process works for all devices but the O2 flash driver.

The tool can not install the driver, most likely because it is recognized as an uncertified driver.

Why the hell do they even put an uncertified driver in the CABs?

When we force the installation of the uncertified driver via dsim.exe we run into the same error as before.

The dcu cli does not support installing uncertified drivers as far as I can see.

Also there exists no switch in the documentation for it.

Still trying out something but it seems the dcu-cli.exe does not resolve our problem.

• 7. Re: OS provisioning driver installation and IE 5.5
                      Apprentice

After still struggeling around we decided to use a multi layer configuration and move on.

I will drop our solution here in cose other people run into the same problem.

Please note that this guide only works for Dell systems since the dcu-cli.exe will not support other manufacturers.

We have the Dell Command Update on every client machine and execute all commandy locally later.

You can also chose to drop the DCU on a network share if you prefer not to use the software later on.

Preperation

UNC Network share

Create a UNC share to host the drivers for your client machine.

For every computer model you have use a own folder within the directory (for example: Precision_M6600_Win7_x64).

Remember to pick easy names you will recognize later.

Drivers

Download the cab files from Dell Command | Deploy -  Driver Packs for Enterprise Client OS Deployment - Enterprise Client - Wiki - Client and Mobile…

Rename the cab file to CAB.CAB and drop them into the client folder you created in previous step.

Also extract all files and put the basic network driver into a subfolder within this directory.

So you will have for example \\my_server\my_pc_model\CAB.CAB and \\my_server\my_pc_model\network\your_basic_network_driver.

Attention: Watch out for cab file dependencies if there are any since some might need an updated Kernel Driver Mode or similar.

Copydrivers.exe

Aquire the copydrivers.exe tool from here: Hardware Independent Imaging - rev 9.1 and copy it to the UNC share.

Look into LANDesk HII and how the computer models are recognized by the system.

You can also check the machines locally or create a query but HII will already give you the full list.

Now you need to fill the copydrivers.exe with content.

To do so open the tool and enter the computer models shown in HII together with their own drivers share and destination share on the target computer.

LANDesk Provisioning

Post-OS installation

1) Copydrivers.exe

Execute the copydrivers.exe with /c from the UNC share.

This will copy the CAB.CAB and extracted network driver to the client machine.

2) dsim.exe

Target path and file name (example): x:\windows\system32\dism.exe

Command-line parameters: /image:c:\ /add-driver /driver:"c:" /recurse

You can add /forceunsigned switch if necessary but that might lead to unexpected results.

Dsim.exe will now inject/install the necessary network driver to keep the template running.

System configuration

1) Install Dell Command Update via software distribution task.

2) Call dcu-cli.exe with /driverRestore c:\local_path_to_your_drivers\CAB.CAB

Now the Dell Command Update will install and re-install all drivers.

In some cases it might be necessary to call it without /driverRestore but that strongly depends on the computer model and included files within the cab.

If you have trouble to start the tool try to create a batchfile package with similar content:

cd %programfiles(x86)%\Dell\CommandUpdate

start /W dcu-cli.exe /driverRestore c:\local_path_to_your_drivers\CAB.CAB

3) Package and install all missing drivers

Some drivers might be skipped or not being installed by dcu-cli.exe.

A typical example for this behavior are unsigned drivers which cannot be forced by the tool as far as I know.

In this case you need to download them from the Dell website and package them as an executable package.

To do so just take the .exe and add the switches /s /i for unattended installation.

Conclusion

1) Copydrivers.exe to get the network driver and cab file to the target pc.

2) Dsim.exe for network driver installation.

3) Dcu-cli.exe to install or re-install all (missing) drivers.

4) Package and distribute drivers skipped by dcu-scli.exe.

That's what I mean when I talked about multi layer configuration and it seems to be quite complicated.

However it works fine for now and can easily be adjusted in case we strip down some stept for other solutions or improvement.

Thanks very much to pointing me to the dcu-cli tool and I hope this might be usefull to someone in future.

1 of 1 people found this helpful