5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 10:37 AM by mushoku

Automatically fill in Incident Source

mushoku Apprentice

I don't remember if this object exists by default, but we have an object under Incident called Incident Source.  This tells us how the incident was relayed to us - did the customer call in, email, come to our counter, submit it via self service, or some other means?  I want to automatically fill in the source if it is being submitted via Self Service or email.

I've found information on how to set a field automatically through the process (automatic action).  This will not help unless a calculation can detect how the incident was submitted.

I've also found information on using a calculation attribute.  Again, the calculation would have to detect the method.

What I'd really like to do is just set a default value on for the field on the EndUser Incident window (and hide the field) so that it automatically gets entered as Self Service.  Can't seem to find that option, so I assume it does not exist.  Normally, I would set the default via the process, but there is no Create Incident action within the process to modify the window defaults.  Does this option exist somewhere else?

• 1. Re: Automatically fill in Incident Source
          Apprentice

Hi mushoku.

Best method i can think of is to use a template on the link that launches the 'New Incident' etc, You can then hide the attribute etc if needed. This will set the value and you can have a different link for End Users and Analysts.

Best Regards,

Dan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automatically fill in Incident Source
            mushoku Apprentice

OK, so, I came up with a method... we have mandatory fields on our End User Incident window that do not exist in the window the Analyst gets.  This means that if an Analyst submits the Incident, these objects will be null; if the End User submits the Incident, they will not be null.  By this means, I can use the automatic action and window to set the Source to Self Service.

• 3. Re: Automatically fill in Incident Source
              mushoku Apprentice

Ok, we've got some templates configured... I can view them via the Console.  How do I, as an Analyst, access them?

• 4. Re: Automatically fill in Incident Source
                Apprentice

When you create a shortcut item you set the template to be applied to that link which in Web Access adds a template name as a parameter in the URL (WebAccess/wd/object/create.rails?class_name=IncidentManagement.Incident&lifecycle_name=NewProcess1111&object_template_name=NewTemplate21). We only use Web Access so i'm not 100% sure on the console setup side of this. We use if for setting flags and for reporting etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Automatically fill in Incident Source
                  mushoku Apprentice

Note that I was also able to set the Source as Email for any email submissions based on the same logic - Impact and Urgency are required fields if an analyst is submitting the incident; Customer Suggested... Impact and Urgency are required if the customer is submitting the incident.  If both are null, the only other method for incident submission is via email.