5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 1:58 AM by phoffmann

Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans

Apprentice

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed large numbers of .IMS files (50+ an hour from 2000 total clients) appearing in the Errorscan folder on the core server. If I drop these back into the ldscan folder they appear to get processed correctly. They're from a wide variety of machines without any apparent link between them.

I've turned on the extra logging for the inventory service and the "failed" scans give the following output:

7/16/2008 10:59:23: Starting transaction
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Committing: COMPUTER
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: BIOS
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: COMPSYSTEM
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: COMPUTER
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: NETWORKSOFTWARE
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: PROCESSOR
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Canceling batch update: TCP
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Rolling back transaction
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Miniscan exception: Row cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been changed since it was last read.
            7/16/2008 10:59:23: Finished processing miniscans

Any reason that this might have started happening? I can see anything obvious settings-wise on the server and nothing has been changed settings-wise on the clients. I have recently installed 8.8 SP1, but this started happening about a week before that.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Wow - that's unusual to say the least.

Miniscans have pitifully little information (hence the name) - so for them to be rejected - interesting.

If you have a test Core - try shoving the rejected mini-scans into that core, see if they process.

If they do, your DB needs to be cleaned up with DBREPAIR. If they are rejected there too, you'll need to open up a support ticket with us (and I'll be quite curious how on earth a mini-scan manages to be rejected).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans
            Apprentice

Interestingly, I've just discovered loads of duplicate entries for some machines.

They don't appear in All Devices, but if you do a query for, say "OS->Name NOT EXISTS" then you get about 650 entries, mostly duplicates (4 or 5 of the same machine name, same IP address, same MAC - seemingly the same everything) but with only miniscan data. Some of them are Unmanaged Devices from discoveries, but others are machines already in the database with a "live" record.

I've deleted them all from the database and I'll see if the come back when I import another bunch of "failed" IMS files.

• 3. Re: Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans
              beau.gordon Employee

If this issue keeps up, I'd be interested to know if there are any corresponding events in the application log on the core when these scans are rejected.  When a 'normal' scan is rejected and banished to errorscan, we write an event.

• 4. Re: Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans
                Apprentice

Nope, nothing in the Application log, which I found a little odd, but then I'm still not really sure why it's rejecting the scans.

• 5. Re: Errorscan folder filling up with .IMS scans
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - if it's still happening, please do the following:

============

1 - Make a FULL backup of the database.

2 - Collect the rejected miniscans.

3 - Compress both.

4 - Open a support ticket (please make sure to state WHICH DBMS you use and which version - i.e. SQL 2005 / Oracle 9i and so on) & make the DB + scans both available to us.

... and we'll have a look at it.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead