1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 12:40 PM by Kenyon

PXE Capture (problem) questions

carlos Expert

Hello, I'm following this guide How to capture an image using IMAGEW.EXE with provisioning in Management Suite 9.6

I'm pretty sure I have everything in order, all machines are in the same gateway/network the bare metal server has been set as well as my PXE reps.

When I get tot the last step which is boot the machine form NET PXE I keep getting error PXE-E53 : No boot filename received, my scheduled task looks good and it gets the IP of the machine I want to image (the bare metal server for which I entered its MAC address) so I assume it can see it in the network.

So I gave up on booting from PXE and booted from USB (provisioning Boot Media) and the weird thing is that I do not get the usual Enter domain credentials and select Template, it just starts working (using the PXE provisioning Template that I created), meaning that the capture starts and completes just fine, creating the .tbi file as expected. at this time my PXE task changes to working...

And the Bare Metal Server restarts (after the capture task finished -due to setting in the capture task, as expected), the working stat has been like that for a while so I do not know if is still working or not, since the size of the .tbi has been the same for a few minutes now

Questions:

1. Is this the expected behavior? I thought the concept of using PXE Net Boot was to NOT use the USB (provisioning Boot Media) and that it would get the task from the network.

2. If the above is not as expected, what do I suppose to see once the system boots from PXE Net Boot? Is a DOS screen so I imagine it will be some kind of task detailing the progress of the capture?

Your help is really appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
          mmartinvegue Apprentice

What OS is your PXE Rep?  I got the same PXE-E53 for Windows 8.1 but when I made my PXE Rep Windows 7 it worked fine.  Expected behavior is the machine gets the boot.wim or boot_x64.wim file from the PXE Rep.  Then the machine boots into Win PE.  From here it depends on which .wim file it loads.

• 2. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
            carlos Expert

My PXE reps are Windows 8.1 Pro 64 (I have 2) Do you think that the PXE rep has to run Win 7?

The bare metal server is WinSvr2012 R2 64

• 3. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
              Kenyon Expert

The only reason it should automatically start is if you have the template scheduled.

Your PXE issue is most likely cased by a configuration issue. Check the required DHCP options are set. Unless you are using an IP helper setup the PXE rep will also need to reside on the same sub net as the machine being booted. I have also seen a bios update on the client machine resolve a PXE error. Or test a PXE boot on a different model of machine if you have one available just to make sure it isn't an issue specific to that machine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                mmartinvegue Apprentice

Kenyon, are you saying you have a Windows 8.1 PXE rep working properly?  If so, are you on 9.6 with SP1?  I have tried for weeks to get a PXE 8.1 working and even have a ticket open with LANDesk without success.  After switching to Windows 7 it worked immediately. 

• 5. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                  carlos Expert

Installing WIN 7 right now... Report Back in a few.

• 6. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                    Kenyon Expert

I cant say that I have tried the PXE rep on Windows 8. I was responding to the original post. I didn't see the response of the rep being on Windows 8 before. I have seen discussions on Windows 8 and Server 2012 on the board recently. I am pretty sure the PXE software is 32bit. I am taking a wild guess that this might be the root of the issue with PXE.

• 7. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                      carlos Expert

mmartinvegue, do you have it working on win7 32 or 64?

• 8. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                        mmartinvegue Apprentice

I have it working on a Win7 x64 Lenovo Laptop.

There are others issues I have come accress, here is one more.... If the device your PXE booting is a Surface Pro 3 then those need the "Microsoft Ethernet Adapter" in order to PXE boot.  I have not gotten any other ethernet adapters to PXE boot on Surface Pro 3.  Including Belkin and Startech ethernet adapters.

• 9. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                          Kenyon Expert

It should work with either 32 or 64 on Windows 7

• 10. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                            carlos Expert

"The only reason it should automatically start is if you have the template scheduled.'

Yes, is scheduled to run when booting from NET PXE, as I understand now, this should replace the USB Boot, then it should open the landesk user interface, since the NET PXE does not work, as soon as I used the USB Boot it runs the scheduled task.

"Your PXE issue is most likely cased by a configuration issue.

Check the required DHCP options are set. Unless you are using an IP helper setup the PXE rep will also need to reside on the same sub net as the machine being booted.

All machines are in the same subnet/Gateway. The PXE is part of a domain, the bare server is not, I don't think this matters does it?

I have also seen a bios update on the client machine resolve a PXE error. Or test a PXE boot on a different model of machine if you have one available just to make sure it isn't an issue specific to that machine.

I have updated the BIOS on both the bare metal machine and in the PXE reps.

Still the same problem, after installing WIN 7 Pro 64, I still can not Boot from PXE. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate your input.

• 11. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                              Kenyon Expert

if the template is scheduled it will start on a PXE or USB boot. The scheduled task has priority. If you cancel or delete the scheduled task you will get the authentication UI.

If the PXE rep and the machined being PXE booted are on the same subnet I would make sure the DHCP options are set correct.

You are correct.. the machine being PXE booted does not need to be in a domain.

if all else fails load wireshark on the PXE rep and trace the traffic. This will let us know where the negotiation issue is.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                                carlos Expert

Well, the original document mentioned above, does not mentions anything about DHCP, I found this  How to configure DHCP to work with LANDESK PXE boot I'll test it and report back.

• 13. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                                  Kenyon Expert

If you do a google search on the error PXE-E53 you will find some more troubleshooting help.

• 14. Re: PXE Capture (problem) questions
                                    carlos Expert

So what I end up doing was this:

1. Set my DHCP Server as "THE" PXE Representative (Removed all other Reps)

2. Ran these 2 commands in the DHCP server

After each commend you should see a "command completed successfully" message or something similar.

netsh dhcp server add optiondef 60 PXEClient String 0 comment=PXE support

netsh dhcp server set optionvalue 60 STRING PXEClient

Then rebottled the bare metal server in PXE (in my server by pressing F12) and voala! it worked.

Answering the 2 questions above:

1. Is this the expected behavior? I thought the concept of using PXE Net Boot was to NOT use the USB (provisioning Boot Media) and that it would get the task from the network.

Yes. When the USB is used, it connects to the Core and runs the scheduled task. The PXE Net Boot (When configured correctly) bypasses the need for the USB, in essence, the PXE is a piece of software needed to initialize the OS or an application, in this case the LANDESK Provisioning Application, which in turn connects to the Core. Since there was a scheduled task, it doesn't needs the credentials, it just runs the task. If there wasn't a task scheduled, the normal logging prompt and selection of template would appear.

2. If the above is not as expected, what do I suppose to see once the system boots from PXE Net Boot? Is a DOS screen so I imagine it will be some kind of task detailing the progress of the capture?

The normal LANDESK Provisioning Windows will appear, just as when using the USB.

1 2 Previous Next