11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 9:21 AM by Ty

Policy won't stop deploying

Apprentice

One of our helpdesk engineers recently deployed a required policy supported push (Install on next login) install of Flash 9 to a group of machines on our network but rather screwed up the detection logic and as a result it kept re-running the install every login. We removed the clients from the policy job and have subsequently deleted the policy, but some of the machines are still reinstalling Flash on every login.

The only way I've found to stop it recurring is to manually delete all of the files associated  with the task from the local machine, which is an arduous process; is there something else I can do to force these clients to clear thier policy cache?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
          zman Master

We don't really use the next login method, so this could be wrong, but I think it uses the local scheduler. If this is the case you could just delete that task.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
            Apprentice

We wouldn't usually use it, but some bright spark decided to ignore established procedure and do the deployment without any testing and with a user notification window (Which is really why it's an issue - users complaining about the pop-up every time the log in).

I'll see if I can take a  look at the local schedulers on some of the affected machines.

• 3. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
              Apprentice

Can't see anything out of the ordinary in the scheduled Landesk tasks on an afflicted machine.

• 4. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

If you're on 8.8, "at logon" and so on are dealt with by the local scheduler. If you're on 8.7 or earlier, "at logon" translates as "shove into the RUNONCE" registry key.

Now - if you don't find a trace in EITHER, then it's going to be something Flash itself does. I would suspect that it may have some "well meaning" logic that if the install fails, it tried to re-install itself at next logon somehow.

But that you'd need to find out from Adobe/Macromedia (Never had a flash install go bad on me, so I can't help you there much) :(.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                  Apprentice

It seems to be Landesk that's doing it - at least it's the Landesk job that's relaunching, not just the Flash install. I can't identify anything on the local machine that indicates it's scheduled to run apart from the job manifests and cached installer download (Deletion of both fixes the issue, but doesn't really solve why it's happening).

• 6. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Sorry to drag this up, but I had a similar issue and found this thread.

In my case, on some machines some old and deleted policies came back to haunt us.  I found references in the client logs that it was calling the policy.

I created a batch file with the commands below to clear the clients DB and other files and this has worked for this, and oher corrupt DB issues

I was in a hurry when I created it, using variables would have been better.

cmd /c del "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\landesk\managementsuite\database" /q
                    del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\landesk\files" /q
                    del "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\vulScan\*.xml" /q
                    net stop "Landesk Policy Invoker"
                    "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /validate
                    net start "Landesk Policy Invoker"
                    "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.exe"
                    "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.client.invoker.exe"

• 7. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                      Employee

It is recomended to change this line to the following:

"c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /validate

"c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /create

• 8. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                        Apprentice

Can you elaborate Ty?  In this thread you advised me to use the /validate command aswell.

What does each do (/validate & /create)?  Is there a full command list anywhere?

• 9. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                          Tracy Expert

Ty would know better about a complete list but:

/Validate - Is basically what it says, it validates the DB schema and makes sure there are no currupt tables. You will notice that this command runs daily in the LocalScheduler.

/Create - This command is used to create a DB from scratch. /Validate used to do this, but now as the DB has grown in schema, creating the DB with validate will not have all needed tables.

At least that is how I think that stuff goes.

-Tracy

• 10. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                            Apprentice

Thanks Tracy - that clarifies things.

Sadly i tried /create but its still broken!  There is an on going case with ld support which has been escalated to the US so hopefully thye will identify the cause.

• 11. Re: Policy won't stop deploying
                              Employee

The /create switch has become the preferred method.  Because it does everything /validate does and more.

/create will back up then delete the old db.  It creates a new db and re-builds the schema.  Ensuring it's integrity.