8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 6:59 AM by regireed

9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory

Rookie

I have a few devices that I mark for deletion within LDMS. The way I understand this process is that I only mark it for deletion and then by default around 23:00 these are removed from the inventory. But when I come back the next day, I see the stale devices are still there. 

• 1. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
          LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

How are you marking them for deletion? During maintenance, clients are purged that have surpassed the "Days to keep inventory scans" setting. This is under Configure - Services - Inventory tab.

• 2. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
            Rookie

After the 9.6 install, i set the inventory scan to 28days. This way if a machine does not check in within 1 month it will automatically be deleted.

Here is a query I ran:

"Computer"."Last Updated by Inventory Server"  <=  "GetDate()-28"

and as you can see I am still over ran with stale devices. Please note that this setting has been like this for quite some time.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
              JonnyB SupportEmployee

if you manually delete one of those devices, then refresh the console does it come back? if so there may be a DB issue. a sql trace might help track it down.

How to set up a simple or advanced SQL trace for trouble shooting database related issues with LANDESK

• 4. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
                Rookie

So I ran the trace and browsed for obvious errors, but honestly I am not really sure what to look for. I don't have a lot of experience with SQL.

Here is what I noticed:

SQL:BatchStarting    DELETE FROM ShadowCopyAction WHERE Computer_Idn in (3064)    LANDESK Software    2015-04-25 13:07:35.947           

Exception    Error: 208, Severity: 16, State: 1                                    214               

User Error Message    Invalid object name 'ShadowCopyAction'.    LANDESK Software    11604    214    2015-04-25 13:07:35.947           

SQL:BatchCompleted    DELETE FROM ShadowCopyAction WHERE Computer_Idn in (3064)    LANDESK Software    2015-04-25 13:07:35.947    2015-04-25 13:07:35.947       

All help is appreciated, thank you!

• 5. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
                  LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

It's obvious that there may be something wrong in this table so it is unable to finish the delete command. I checked my database and this table is empty since I don't own the full end point security feature. If you are not using this data or are concerned about it, you can do a clean wipe of that table and that may get these stale devices to finally get deleted.

• 6. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
                    Employee

The error you're getting makes it appear that you don't have a table named ShadowCopyAction.  That table is listed in the metadata (MetaObjAttrRelations) and that's why LANDESK is trying to delete from it.  This is what I would do:

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio, highlight your core and click on New Query (it will open a query window)

2. sp_help shadowcopyaction

a. If you get an error stating that the object doesn't exist in the database, you can run CoreDBUtil.exe (from the ManagementSuite directory) and click on Build Components.  This will validate your schema and add the missing table.  Use this command:  CoreDBUtil.exe /xml=datamartpm.xml.  ShadowCopyAction exists in the datamartpm.xml file.

1. After CoreDBUtil.exe finishes, run sp_help shadowcopyaction again to make sure the table exists.  If it doesn't exist, send a copy of your CoreDBUtil.exe.log file to support.

b. If you see that the table actually exists, look to see who the "owner" is.  It could be that you have the table, but the right user doesn't own it.  This is possible, but not likely.  If this is the case, you will need to do an sp_changeobjectowner and make the owner of ShadowCopyAction the same as the owner of the Computer table.  However, I haven't seen this scenario for years, so this isn't too likely to be the problem.

More than likely, the table physically doesn't exist in the database.  Running CoreDBUtil.exe /xml=datamartpm.xml and choosing Build Components will probably resolve the problem.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
                      Rookie

Thor,

After recreating the tables i was able to delete a device, refresh the console, and DID NOT see the device listed. I will check again tomorrow for the same device and update this post.

Thanks so much for the help

• 8. Re: 9.6SP1 Core - stale devices are not deleting from inventory
                        Rookie

Verified that the device i manually deleted and that my "Days to keep inventory" is now working. Thanks again all!