5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 7:14 AM by martin.gannon

Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?

jebolick Rookie

I have been asked to join a couple hundred Windows 7 and 8 computers to our LANDESK (9.5 SP2) core server that are not in our domain. Can anyone provide me with documentation on joining computers in a Workgroup to an LDMS core that by default has been servicing domain joined computers explicitly?

• 1. Re: Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?
          Expert

Hi Jebolick,

This should be very similar to the tasks you have had to join the computers on the domain to the core. You just bare in mind the differences between an 'no domain controlled machine' and an 'domain controlled one'. A few being:

• The administrator will have to be set manually on all machines - this is important as a user with admin rights is needed to install the agent
          • The above can be over-ridden completely if you use a self-contained agent as this will need admin rights to install the agent, which the local IT should know
          • Once the agent is installed it should function identically to your other machines connected to the core. But only in terms of the LDMS tasks you can do with it.

Martin

• 2. Re: Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?
            jebolick Rookie

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply and the useful information. These computers (around 150+) have all been managed locally by another team for some time. I am positive they all have the same local admin account (were I a betting man, I would say they are clones of one another). I unfortunately was not a part of the agent deployment process on our domain computers. I was given the task of managing them after the fact. I suppose I will simply create an agent and give the LDMS that common admin password to manage these agents by. Correct?

Thanks again for your time and knowledge,

Jeremie B.

• 3. Re: Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?
              Expert

Hi Jebolick,

You are correct. Once the agents are installed they will have full control of the computer they are installed on. This is because they are installed and run as local system, giving them effectively full rights over the machine. Once you have installed the agents they can then look after themselves. You can upgrade them as needed without having to do it manually again.

Please see this space for more information on agent deployment :

https://community.landesk.com/support/community/systems/agent

Martin

• 4. Re: Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?
                jebolick Rookie

Thanks again Martin,

One more question please. As these potential clients are not members of the domain, will the agents have to be installed locally? They do reside on a network segment our current core can see. Will UDD find these devices and install the agent so long as I provide the core with the Local Admin credentials?

Thanks again,

Jeremie B

• 5. Re: Workstation and Domain Computers on the Same Server? Good, Bad, Otherwise?
                  Expert

Hi Jeremie B,

UDD can work, but the amount of local administrators you will have to enter will be quite large as the scheduled service requires a domain name format to work correctly. I.e nameofmachine\administrator etc. But you can try this with just the user name 'administrator' and a password, but this is not guaranteed. A self-contained exe may be best in this scenario.

I would suggest that you test with a few methods and see which one works best for your specific environment.

Martin