I am struggling with how to provision unmanaged computers. Before upgrading to LDMS 9.6sp1 using LDMS 9.5sp3 and OSD rather than provisioning, we could get a computer out of the box, boot to PXE use the PXE imaging menu to select an image and put an image onto the machine (without a corresponding computer object in LDMS). Now that we've upgraded to LDMS 9.6sp1, we're forced to use provisioning. It's taken us a while, but we've finally created all our imaging deployments to provisioning templates and would like to do something similar to what we did with OSD. We have a number of computers that we would like to deploy an image to that will be standalone systems or segmented and will not be managed with LANDesk (for a number of reasons). Here's what I'm doing:
1. We have a Windows image created, it is fully configured doesn't use HII and isn't SysPrepped
2. We created a provisioning template that simply configures a partition, dumps on an image, ensures the partition is mounted as C: and then reboots. Once rebooted, we'll log into windows an change the computer name and it's good to go. (This is how it worked with OSD).
3. We hook up the unmanaged computer, boot to PXE and wait until we get the GUI from the Provisioning agent asking for credentials. We enter domain creds and authenticate.
4. We are presented with a menu to select from the provisioning templates available. We select a template, and then click ok.
5. With managed computers, we can select any template and it will be deployed. With unmanaged systems, we get "Loading Template... Retry X of 40, waiting for template..." This runs through all 40 retries and then presents the menu again.
Looking in the Provisioning.log from //core/ldmain/logs/provisioning, the following is listed for each retry:
VERBOSE ProvisioningService 5/19/2015 5:02:10 PM : >>GetTaskXml
VERBOSE ProvisioningService 5/19/2015 5:02:10 PM : GetTaskXML, SIDS:
VERBOSE ProvisioningService 5/19/2015 5:02:10 PM : MACAddress: BC305BE03057
VERBOSE ProvisioningService 5/19/2015 5:02:10 PM : SerialNumber: 1PRTXQ1
ERROR ProvisioningService 5/19/2015 5:02:11 PM : Unable to find computer
Which I take from researching the issue to mean that it is an unmanaged system and isn't found in LDMS.
Is there a way to put a provisioning template onto a computer without having to import/add the computer to LDMS? The computer will never be managed via LD, so it doesn't make sense to have to add it in and then delete it back out later.
Any assistance would be helpful.