4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 7:55 AM by MarXtar

Limiting Simultaneous Distributions in LDMS 9.6 SP1

kdavies Apprentice

Under LDMS 9.5 and delivery methods, it was possible to limit the number of simultaneous distributions. In our case, we have two remote sites whose WAN connections can be easily overwhelmed so we restricted the simultaneous distributions to 61 over all.

In LDMS 9.6 SP1, delivery methods are no more (or only apply to legacy agents). I read in the 9.6 help pages that for non-accelerated pushed, LDMS "builds target lists of up to 241 devices and processes these devices one target list at a time, waiting until jobs complete before moving on to devices in the next target list." Is there any way of changing that 241 default to 61 to closer match the behaviour of LDMS 9.5?

Thanks,

Kelly

• 1. Re: Limiting Simultaneous Distributions in LDMS 9.6 SP1
          Rookie

I believe this can be set under Custom Jobs in Configure Landesk Software Services on the Core:

LD Custom Jobs.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Limiting Simultaneous Distributions in LDMS 9.6 SP1
            kdavies Apprentice

So there is a way. But if this value is set to 61, then why does the help page for LANDesk 9.6 talk about the how the "default push distribution task type builds target lists of up to 241 devices and processes these devices one target list at a time, waiting until jobs complete before moving on to devices in the next target list"? If the "Distribute to xx computers simultaneously" setting is 61, then how could or why would the server build target lists of 241 devices for pushes?

If I leave this value at 61 computers, and I push a LANDesk software distribution scheduled task over a WAN link to 300 computers running the LANDesk 9.6 agent, and I do not select accelerated push, then what is the maximum number of computers that will execute the task simultaneously?

Under 9.5, with the push delivery method set to 61 simultaneous devices, I see a maximum of 61 computers active at any one time. Now is that because of the delivery method setting or the "Custom Jobs" setting? Under 9.6 pushing to a LANDesk 9.6 agent, would I still see a maximum of 61 computers active at any one time? Does the "Custom Jobs" setting override the 9.6 Agent settings (and the delivery method settings for pre-9.6 agents)?

Thanks,

Kelly

• 3. Re: Limiting Simultaneous Distributions in LDMS 9.6 SP1
              Rookie

This is a good questions. I assume that, though LD9.6 processes 1 target list at a time (which can contain up to 241 devices) the number specified under custom jobs determines how many of the 241 devices can have jobs distributing to at a given time. It will distribute simultaneously to the number of devices specified in the custom jobs settings until it has completed all 241 devices in the first target list, then begin the same process on the next.

Perhaps some can verify this?

• 4. Re: Limiting Simultaneous Distributions in LDMS 9.6 SP1
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

This is where you set this:

Push Limit.png

This controls the accelerated push. if not accelerated then it works one machine at a time but moves quickly onto the next one to start it checking for policies (even if it is a Push). If you tell it to  '•Wait for each machine to finish processing the task' then you really do just get one machine at a time! There is also no obvious way to limit the download to one machine on a subnet at a time.

You need to be careful with your distribution agent settings.regarding whether preferred servers or source can be used. The changes mean you can get stuff launched VERY quickly, but without adequate planning of where they can get files from then you need to be mindful of the bandwidth throttling options.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements