5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 2:04 AM by MarkE

software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8

Rookie

The problem is that the LANDesk keeps installing and removing software.

We have created distribution packages to install software and have associated the uninstall package.

The software is scheduled to install via a policy, required installation and is targeted at LDAP Objects which is a group containing computer objects.

There seems to be no pattern as to when the software will be installed and removed, sometimes it will stay on the machine for days before being uninstalled. We have over a hundred packages created like this and it is a lottery as to whether the software is on the users machine or not.

The only workaround has been to clear the uninstallation association and restart the scheduled task but this only helps on machines where the software has never been installed on before. On machines which have already been affected the problem appears to persist.

This is happening on all types of distributions packages, MSI, EXE, SWD, BATCH

We are using LD8.8 & WinXP SP2 and SP3 clients. A call has been logged with LANDesk support who are trying to replicate the problem but they seem to be at a loss to explain what's going on. Has anyone else got any ideas?

• 1. Re: software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Interesting - I've not heard of this.

If you happen to have "DB + Core" on a single machine, it would probably be a great move if you could VMWare it all (http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/) which is free, and that'd enable us to have your setup in one swoop, so we could see as to what's going on. Obviously a few of the affected packages would be good as well.

Generally, LANDesk "doesn't" just do things on its own - this sounds like a logic problem to me (i.e. - the software is behaving as it has been told to - just the translation "this is what I WANT it to do" versus "this is what I TOLD it to do" is likely to have a flaw in it somewhere which causes you to end up with the results you have.

On account of this being the first I hear of this, I would be inclined to believe that it's some weird freak of logic rather than a defect ... we'd need to see. In this regard, I think having a virtualised copy of your Core would be good - I certainly would think that the tech you're working with would have an awful lot easier of a time trying to dupe this issue - and once it's duped, we can try to figure out what's causing it exactly :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8
            Rookie

Ok that's a good idea. I've now got a 30GB VM machine to get over to you, have you got a FTP site to upload it to?

• 3. Re: software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

We certainly do.

Since you have a support case, just ask in that ticket - and you'll get the infos.

I would suggest spending the time to use "maximum compression" on the VM - WinRAR for example compresses down to ca. 50% of original size.

ALSO - I would advise to use:

- Recovery record

- Splitting the archive into 1 GB chunks.

That way "failed upload" parts are easier to re-upload, and there's some protection against damage.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8
                ProServices

Hi Mark,

Could you post your SchedQuery.exe.log file please, and also let me know what the value is for "Configure | Service | Schedular | Interval between query evaluations" is from the console on the core server.

Best Regards

Ian

• 5. Re: software keeps installing and uninstalling in LD8.8
                  Rookie

Ian, the interval time is 1 hour