6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2015 8:47 AM by GJHorn

How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?

GJHorn Apprentice

Are the Mac AV updates handled automatically as they are in the Windows 9.6 client? I am running LDMS 9.6 SP2. I have a few Mac computers which are not receiving the AV updates. Do I have to run a repair task?

• 1. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
          Northice Expert

They're handled in the LANDESK Mac AV Agent setting.  The setting will create a scheduled task as to when to update the pattern files. 

Capture.PNG

• 2. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
            GJHorn Apprentice

I have a test Mac on the network which is not receiving any of the new virus definitions from LD. The Mac is set not to go to sleep and is plugged in to the network. So I am not sure why it is not receiving the virus updates.

• 3. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
              Northice Expert

I have a couple of other thoughts.  Under the Update panel on the LANDESK Mac AV settings what are the options set to for the 'Download virus definition update from:'?  Is it set to 'Core first. Fall back to internet if core is not available'?  If it's just the core, have you verified the client can ping the core?  Do other types of services works, such as ldscan?

Secondly, what does the client show as its settings in the Preference > Update panel?  Is it set to update every 'x'?

Capture.PNG

If all looks as if it is configured properly, grab your LANDESK.log from /Library/Application Support/LANDesk/data and look to the date/time it's supposed to update and see if you can see any connection errors.  You may just need to submit an incident with support, including your LANDESK.log.

• 4. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
                GJHorn Apprentice

I checked the Update preference and it was set to Manually. I changed it to every day at 10:00 AM. But I thought the update settings are coming from the Agent settings?

I have another related question with the Mac and the AV settings. I have my Mac listed under Devices. When I go Security activity -> LANDesk Antivirus -> Pattern file dates -> Up to date, my Mac device is not listed there. Other Mac devices are listed there, however, not all of them either. One note: I run VMWare Fusion on my Mac for Windows 7 Pro and that device is there.

Do you have any thoughts? Again, thanks for your prompt replies.

• 5. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
                  Northice Expert

The AV agent setting should be applying that setting to the client.  It looks like we may have an issue, see https://community.landesk.com/support/message/115284?et=watches.email.thread#115284 for a described work around. 

As for the pattern file information not being there for the machine, that's just strange.  I've seen it where the client is up-to-date but the information has not yet been sent to the core via a scan, but it should at least show up in the out of date or unknown sections, even if you do have a VM that is managed on it.  I would submit an incident for that as well.

• 6. Re: How are the LD AV Updates handled on the Mac?
                    GJHorn Apprentice

I would like to add to this discussion. I've taken the advise above and created a Task to run everyday. However, if I create the task and target devices by way of a Scope set to see all Mac's, how are the Mac devices added to the scheduled task? It appears I need to add the Mac devices manually, whether the Task's targeted devices are set by a scope or not. Is there another way to get Mac devices added to the task automatically?