9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 9:19 AM by SBW

How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?

noel.lester Employee

Hi Community

I am pulling in groups from AD, and upon importing, I am mapping the Groups Manager DN, with that in Users, as to associate the managers user account with that AD Group.

If I create a Window on the Business Object (Which has a Reference Behaviour) I can see that it is picking up everything that I want, and working as I need.

However, when I go to use this on a new Window within Request Management, I cannot see those linked/referenced values? Is this because the data is being imported into a business object within System container, and I am then using the Request Management > Request Business Object to create the window? I have create one-to-one relationships etc, but can only see the data that is imported into that Business Object only, not the referenced data from Users etc.

I have attached a word doc with screen shots in case that helps.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
          ProServices

Im not sure I 100% follow what the exact issue is, but to be clear.  You're setting the drop down user object for the manager on your AD Group object correctly.  you've ran a query and can see that the user object for group manager is being filled out?

If so, the way I typically get a related object to populate on a form like say an Incident is this.

For example, lets say I wanted to pick a Raise User on an Incident but also have the Users manager fill in another user dropdown on my incident form, and I wanted this to happen upon selecting a particular Raise User.  What I would do is use a business object copy rule to say that each time my Raise User dropdown was changed, to drill into the Raise User and take the Manager related object of my Raise User and copy it onto another user dropdown on my Incident.

If you run a query on your AD Objects and you do NOT see the manager populated, make sure you're right clicking on the data import on the User object thats holding the manager value and setting the Target Key attribute.  I've attached a small pic here.  Right click that object and set the target key to the DN...I think that also might be missing because I do not see a key on that value you're using to map it.

• 2. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
            noel.lester Employee

Hi SBW

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

To confirm, I am pulling from AD via a Data Import. I am mapping the Group Name to the AD Groups > Group Name Field, I am then pulling the attribute from AD that has the managers DN, to tie with the DN in the Users list. Also, I can confirm the DN was later made the Target Key:

Capture.PNG

I am not running a query to get the results, it is simply a Window created in the AD Group business object, with the 4 attributes dropped onto it, to prove it is linking the manager user account as I wnat:

Capture.PNG

Is what I want, is for it to essentially do the same on a request window. So when that Folder path is selected by the end user, it populate the manager's name in a field on the same request form. Would the Object Copy Rule achieve this?

Thanks

Noel

• 3. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
              ProServices

What I was saying was you should run a query to make sure your managers are populated on those AD group objects fully.

If they are, then yes, you'll want to use a business object copy rule to get that manager user copied on to the request form when the correct AD Group is selected.  You'll need another a user object to copy that value to, whether you drag and drop a new user object on it or use an existing one.

• 4. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                noel.lester Employee

Hi

Thanks, I have created a simple query on the AD Groups object,

Capture.PNG

Here is the result:

Capture.PNG

So it would appear that they are populating as required?

• 5. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                  ProServices

Then you are golden my friend!

Add a User object onto whatever process object you're using...I think you said it was a request.

Then use a business object copy rule to copy the value from your ADGroup.User to your Request.NewUserObject.

• 6. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                    noel.lester Employee

Hey SBW

Thanks again for your reply, it's really appreciated.

I might be being a little slow here, but I am still coming to grips with certain things in Service Desk.

I can confirm that I am using the Request Management > Request Business object for my process.

Do I need to create a new attribute in this business object for the managers user name to be copied into? Or did you mean something else?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                      ProServices

Not a new attribute, but drag and drop System.User from the System module up and onto RequestManagement.Request.  Then appropriately name the new object and then save it.

This will put a new User object on your request that can hold this manager value.

• 8. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                        noel.lester Employee

Hi SBW

Thanks, that did work, but talking to LANDesk, they advised on using a calculation to pull the attribute up a level into a newly created attribute, and have the calculation run 'Before Save'. So as the import happens now, it pulls that attribute up from the Users Business object tree, into a new attribute in the business object I needed.

I have realised another issue however, it is ignoring Analyst accounts, only working where an End User is the Manager of the AD Group. Any ideas on how to over come that one?

Thanks

• 9. Re: How Can I Use Mapped Data Import Information?
                          ProServices

So the calculation is on an object but only working when an End User is the person who should appear?

I would make sure that the object is of User and not possible EndUser, because that might cause an object reference error with that calculation... possibly.  Can you double check that?