10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 5:47 AM by TF

Parallel upgrade - inventory

Apprentice

Hi,

I am running a parallel upgrade 95 sp1 to 96 sp1.

I am pushing the new 96 agent using a scheduled task on the 95 server.

I noticed that machines with the new agent are reporting there inventory to both servers.

Inventory has been stripped off some switches that were pointing to the Core server.So I understood that the client was picking the Core server name from the registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\LANDesk\LDWM\coreserver

Since the registry of the machine I am looking at has the correct name for the core server does it mean the client is getting the old server name from the certificates??

Thank you

• 1. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
          Kenyon Expert

I currently have a similar configuration of a 9.5 server and new 9.6 server running in parallel. I also have been pushing the new agent out using the 9.5 server and I am not having this issue. I wonder if the local scheduler on the agent still has the old schedule. Maybe check the local scheduler tasks on one of the clients.

• 2. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
            SupportEmployee

Yeah, first check the local scheduler tasks on the device that is updating both. If it has tasks for both cores that may explain it.

Second, if you left the .0 file on the client when you upgraded it to the new core, I wonder if its possible your old core has a task to regularly schedule the device for inventory?

You could right click on the device and see its scheduled tasks and policies list.

Thanks

Brandon

• 3. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
              Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I had a look at that on my machine and found no trace of the old server.

I have just another machine:

Last inventory to the new server was 13/07/2015.  Local tasks linked to the inventory only have /noui as command line

Last inventory tot he old server is today. Local tasks linked to inventory as pointing to the old server.

Regards

Fabrice

• 4. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                SupportEmployee

Hey Fabrice, by default if ldiscn32.exe is launched on 9.6 or later it gets its core server name and port from the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Intel\LANDesk\LDWM

Can you check this key on the machine who is contacting the old core to see if the coreserver stringvalue is in fact the old core?

If so I wonder if perhaps that reg key was not overwritten during your agent upgrade. If this is affecting a large number of devices you will want to single one out and push a new core agent to it to see if this problem persists.

Thanks

Brandon

• 5. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                  Apprentice

Brandon,

You are correct the registry key has reverted to the old core server on that machine.If the agent reported to the core server at one stage it means that coreserver stringvalue was set with the new server, no ?

I will run a query an redeploy the agent where necessary.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                    SupportEmployee

I think that key never changed and the time it did report to the new core was during install of the new core's agent. I think the agent install manually passes commandline to the scanner on its first run.

Let me know if the redeploy works.

Thanks

Brandon

• 7. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                      Apprentice

Brandon,

I have just checked another machine.

Local tasks do not mention the old server, the registry value is correct (new core).

However an inventory was sent today to the old core server??

• 8. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                        SupportEmployee

Interesting. And has this device sent an inventory to the new core within a day or so?

Is it possible the old core has a scheduled task requesting scans from devices? Or perhaps a user on the old core right clicked requesting a scan?

Lastly, the scan sent to the old core, was it a software scan, did that date update?

Thanks

Brandon

• 9. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                          SupportEmployee

You could also check the Client Connectivity behavior file. Browse to this folder to find the file.

C:\ProgramData\vulscan\ClientConnectivityBehavior_YOURBEHAVIORNAME

And go to this section <Name>CoreServer</Name>  to see what coreserver it has there. If the coreserver name in there is wrong you may be able to push down a new client connectivity behavior.

Thanks

Brandon

• 10. Re: Parallel upgrade - inventory
                            Apprentice

Brandon,

I have 500+ machine that are still reporting to the old core.

Another Machine 100118epidt reported to old server yesterday 23/07/2015

Machine reported on the new server today on 24/07/2015.( The record creation date is 05/06/2015.)

Registry clearly indicate the correct name for the Core