4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 3:38 AM by Dave1088

Adding Distribution Package using self programmed application (SDK)

Rookie

Hi there

I'm trying to find a way to add distribution packages to LANdesk with a self programmed application (C#). I know about the MBSDK (http://landeskhost/mbsdkservice/msgsdk.asmx) but it seems this does not provide the requested function. With MBSDK I'm able to create taks or add computers but not add distribution packages.

It's a similiar question as mentioned (and not solved!) 4 years ago in Adding Distribution Package using WebService (MBSDK?).

Is there a way to accomplish this with MBSDK? If not: I've read about another kind of SDK but I'm not able to find a download link or even any detailed description. Would this SDK have this function included?

Thank you for your answer.

I'm using LANdesk Management Suite Version 9.60.2.48

• 1. Re: Adding Distribution Package using self programmed application (SDK)
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

No, this function isn't provided. There is a huge amount involved in adding packages such as creating the hashes for each of the files. The best you can do is to make use of an existing package unless you start doing direct database manipulation which is unsupported and likely to have unexpected issues due to patches and updates. Believe me on this one, we used to do this for one of our plug-ins and because the feature is not supported, the requirements to successfully add a package could change without notice because the developers are not expecting to impact anyone doing this. Could be as simple as a new column that does not allow NULL values.

Now there are a few potential workarounds that let you stay supported without creating packages but there's no point me mentioning any of them unless you have a very specific thing you want to achieve. If it is 'add any kind of package for any kind of distribution' then the answer is probably a No.

There is a Restful API that LD are working on but it isn't fully formed for external use as yet.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 2. Re: Adding Distribution Package using self programmed application (SDK)
            Rookie

Thank you very much for your quick response. If it's gonna make a difference: I want to add MSI and executable packages for distribution with scheduled tasks (mostly).

Goal #1: save a lot of time for our package creators

Goal #2: increase compliance with our packaging standards due to scripted creation

It would be a great start if I could just copy an existing package (-template) and change name, install/uninstall options and the primary file. So the package creator just needs to add additional files and might change any other special property within the LANdesk console.

Any other ideas to achive this two goals?

• 3. Re: Adding Distribution Package using self programmed application (SDK)
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

If you would only ever want to push something, then the older Manage Script capability could be accessed with the ScheduleScript options. One of these lets you insert a script. Biggest issues is that these are old tech so limited to push and do not take advantage of the SWD capabilities unless you create the scripts yourself to make proper use of sdclient etc..

Often for packaging standards I see the standards being defined around a pre-compressed bundle of files and an associated installation script. If you break LANDESK down to its simplest form you get a system with the sole purpose of taking something, transferring it to a target, and then launching said thing. Everything else such as MSI or executable type package are just aids in the GUI to selecting/adding the correct command line options.

What I'm saying is that some customers simplify the packaging by stating that every package should be comprised of a single, self-extracting executable. This executable contains all of the required installation file and a standard format installation script written on Batch or Powershell or VBScript, whatever you want. At this point all that needs to be done in LANDESK is to add an EXE package. That's it. Everything else is handled by the installation routine built into the self-extracting EXE. As long as the packagers understand that they have to assume everything they meed is placed by them into a known location on the client (such aswhere the EXE is, but being aware that there may be path limitations) and that they should never ever expect to be able to copy enything from the network themselves, then this works quite well.

This doesn't do exactly what you asked for, but it does simplify the adding of packages into the LANDESK console. New EXE Package, point to source, save package (pretty much).

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 4. Re: Adding Distribution Package using self programmed application (SDK)
                Rookie

Thank you for your reply.

To use self-extracting archives is in discussion, it has it's pro's and con's. We are still new to LANdesk (currently switching from Microsoft SCCM). To migrate >700 packages, a script/program could have helped a lot.