2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 10:44 AM by Peter Massa

Setting the Default Desktop Image for Windows 7?

jpozucek Apprentice

Can anyone tell me the best method for setting the default desktop image for Windows 7 so that whoever logs in gets the same default, custom, desktop image?  I want to make this part of my base image for Provisioning.

LDMS v.9.5 SP3

Thank you,

Jim

• 1. Re: Setting the Default Desktop Image for Windows 7?
          LANDave SupportEmployee

One way is to set this through the local user policy on the computer.

1. Go to the "Start Menu" and type "Run" into the search bar. Proceed to type in "gpedit.msc" into the space provided. Click "OK."
          2. Click "User Configuration" under "User Policy." Click "Administrative Templates".
          3. Click "Desktop" and then "Desktop Wallpaper." Click "Enabled."
          4. Enter in the location source of your desired Wallpaper next to "Name." For example, you will write in the name of your wallpaper file in between the parentheses at the end of the source of C:\Windows\web\wallpaper(Your Wallpaper Name Goes Here).
          5. Click "Apply" to save your settings and "OK" to exit out.

WallpaperPolicy.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting the Default Desktop Image for Windows 7?
            Peter Massa Expert

jpozucek,

I find the easiest way to set the default background for all users is to just overwrite the default image file while in WinPE located at:

C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg

I just use a simple file copy command in provisioning to copy the background I want to that location and it automatically applies for all users.

Hope this helps,

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful