7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 8:31 PM by zman

Multicast Window On Core, Log File?

egarlepp Employee

I have some software admins that are utilzing multicast but do not have access to the core server to view the multicast window that pops up on the core showing the status of the multicast.  Is there a log file that shows the status of the multicast in somewhat realtime?  Other than going to the multicast rep and viewing the sdmcache folder, how can they see how it is moving along?  We are running 8.7 SP5.  Unfortunately the scheduled task doesn't represent any other information other than working.

Thx

• 1. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
          Expert

Eric, the MCC amd MCS_ Job logs should show you this information, in LDMAIN\Logs for each job

• 2. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Take a look at LDMAIN\Logs

In here you will see log files getting created.  They are CSV format so could give you what you need.  Not perfect but might be enough for you.

MarXtar - http://www.marxtar.com - Home of Power State Notifier

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Ouch! No prizes for coming second. :_|  - Should have typed faster!

MarXtar - http://www.marxtar.com - Home of Power State Notifier

• 4. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
                egarlepp Employee

Thanks for the info, but i was looking for something that would give a update say every 10% or so in a log file for someone to check.  It only shows you when it is complete in there.  Basically,  a way to see if it is stalled or what percentage it is at any given point.

Thx

• 5. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

No standard way really.  I suppose you might be able to do something with an AutoIT script that activates when the MCast window appears.  Perhaps it takes a screenshot so they can take a look?  Not got an example but there must be a way for that to work

• 6. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
                    Apprentice

Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. Should you be able to see the multicast window when using RDP to the core. I don't ever see it and I connect to our blade server through RDP with the /Cosnole option.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Multicast Window On Core, Log File?
                      zman Master

As long as the server is Windows 2003 then yes, however. the console switch may not be working depending on your OS/SP. See if this helps

I think there are a couple of posts here indicating the issues with the separation of functions between the local and remote consoles (e.g., have to run X on the remote console and Y can be run on both). This is one thread that falls in this category.  I personally don't know of any good way to monitor the progress of the multicast window without granting rdp access to the core.  However, the LANDesk group here is plenty creative so something might come about. You could tail the log files, but the limitations of these files have been listed above. Nirsoft has a utility to grab the contents of certain controls (list boxes, etc) but it is static not realtime and I don't think no commandline so scripting it would be a bear. 

Hopefully 9.0 will give us one unified console so we don't have to flop back and forth like a fish on the docks.