3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 10:32 AM by Bd0g

Inventory Errorscan on extremely long line item

Apprentice

Hello,

I am having an issue with the inventory scan on some of my machines.  The scans all end up in the Errorscan folder.  I have narrowed it down to one item these scans all have in common.  That one line appears to be about 1543 characters long and reads as:

OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Energy Server Service WILLAMETTE) - Path ="C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\esrv_svc.exe" "--AUTO_START" "--start" "--address" "127.0.0.1" "--port" "49330" "--depend_on_key" "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ESRV_SVC_WILLAMETTE" "--depend_on_value" "run" "--time_in_ms" "--pause" "5000" "--library" "C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\intel_modeler.dll" "--no_pl" "--watchdog" "10" "--watchdog_cpu_usage_limit" "50" "--end_on_error" "--kernel_priority_boost" "--shutdown_priority_boost" "--device_options" " time=no output=w output_folder='C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\IntelData' limit_output_by=time output_limit=3600000 output_buffer=1024 il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\intel_process_input.dll','process_input_options.txt' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\intel_system_power_state_input.dll' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\intel_quality_and_reliability_input.dll' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\acpi_battery_input.dll' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\sema_thermal_input.dll' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\wifi_input.dll' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\devices_use_input.dll','service=yes' il='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\intel_disktrace_input.dll','pause=60000 working_dir=C:\ProgramData\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\IntelData override_existing_tracing=no limit_output_by_filesize_mb=10' os='C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\os_counters.txt' "

I noticed that every line item in that section of the SCN file starts off with "OS -"  This scanned item starts off the same way, but it is so long that it continues onto the next line.  My SCN file looks something like this...

OS - Drivers and Servic...

ESRV\acpi_battery_inpu...

As a test, I removed the long entry including the part that continues to the next line.  Saved it, moved it back to to the ldscan folder, and watched it successfully import the inventory.

I believe the inventory scan is getting this entry from the machine's registry.  Is there a way to have it ignore a specific registry key from inventory scans just like you can have it ignore specific folders on local drives?

I am running 9.6 SP1.  Errorscan file attached.  Long entry can be found at line 3564

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Inventory Errorscan on extremely long line item
          Sebastien.Felix SupportEmployee

Hi Kkyoung,

You can't exclude a registry key. I was also able to reproduce this behavior on the system, and indeed the number of characters is the cause of your trouble, easy to see in a SQL trace.

But when looking at the inventory file, the service linked to it is "C:\Program Files\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\ESRV\esrv_svc.exe".

What I would suggest is going in LDMS Console > Section "Reporting / Monitoring" > Manage Software List > Inventory - Files > Right-click on "To be Excluded" > Choose New File > Put esrv_svc.exe > OK >> Press on the button "Make Available to Clients" on the toolbar of this section "Reporting / monitoring" to make it effective for the next inventory scan running on all the clients (Next time, it will take into account this modification).

I hope it will work,

Good luck! Sebastien.

• 2. Re: Inventory Errorscan on extremely long line item
            Apprentice

Thanks for the reply Sebastien.  I gave it a try...no luck.  I also tried adding that folder to the excluded folders list.  No luck.  I made sure to look at the C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldappl3.ini on my machine to make sure I was using the most recently published ldappl3...sure enough, both were in there.

ExcludeDir=%ProgramFiles%\Intel\SUR\WILLAMETTE\

[Ignore]

<I>,ESRV_SVC.EXE

• 3. Re: Inventory Errorscan on extremely long line item
              SupportEmployee

Because it is a service commandline, putting it in the excluded files will not prevent inventory from scanning it. Can you confirm on that device that the service commandline is really that long? If so is that necessary?

Most likely it is the database that is rejecting this line because it is too long causing the scan to fail.

Please check the windows application log on the core for when this scan errors. Review the error, is it an error returned by SQL server that the column width is not long enough?

If so, you can modify the column it lists to nvarchar max: alter table services alter column path nvarchar(max) null

If it is rejected at the inventory server cache and not the database then we would need to consider internally if we need to extend the allowed path length.

Thanks

Brandon