9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 5:11 AM by nito

How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?

jhedelin Apprentice

Im new to Landesk Management Suite, but i have worked with SCCM and Altiris for many years.

I have created some groups in Network view and added computers.

How can i add those groups in queries?

I'm used to work with collections/filters in SCCM/Altiris, doesnt Landesk have the same structure?

• 1. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
          Apprentice

Hi,

LANDESK works a little bit different here.

As far as I know you can not exclude computer groups from your query by default. If you want to achieve this goal you have to excluded computers by an inventory attribute inside the query.

But you can limit the query result to devices that are in one or more groups.

In order to do so, create a new query and clikc on "Filters", now you can filter the results by one or more static groups.

Capture6.JPG

Hope this helps you

In addition if you have all your devices sorted in 3 groups called A, B and C. And you want to exclude Group B. Just create a query that filters on Group A and Group C.

• 2. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
            jhedelin Apprentice

Ok, im still confused.

Say i have a group named (Install Flash Player) and its deployed to a scheduled task.

I can add computers to this group and it will be installed, right?

But if i have _another_ group of computers that i want i INCLUDE in the (Install Flash player) group, how do i include them?

• 3. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
              Apprentice

Yes the added computers will install Flash player if the task is a policy. The group will be resolved on task start and while the task is active on a regular configurable value. (Configure=> Services => Scheduler => Interval between query evaluations)

To you second question. If you have a second group that you want to include in your task, just drag and drop the second group to the same task.

A task can have multiple targets. Targets can be

• one or more devices
              • one or more groups
              • one ore more queries

you can even combine everything from above.

It might look confusing the first time but with LANDESK you have much more flexibility than in other systems. Break out of the static SCCM collection thinking

Don't worry, once you get familiar with this flexibility you will really love it.

Grouping devices regarding a specific attribute that can not be read from database makes sense. For example all computers in a specific department.

But creating a group for installing a specifc package makes no sense to me, as you can put the devices directly in the task, the devices will stay there.

Lets give you some examples:

First you have a task to install Flash Player.

a) Just drag and drop single or mutliple devices to your task

b) As target you can create a dynamic query based on inventory attributes, for example all computers that have no flash player installed or with a lower version of flashplayer than in your package

c) If your goal is to deploy flash player to specific departsments. Create static groups for department A, B, C and on demand just drag and drop the target group/s to the task

d) If you want to use the query from b) but only for specific departments, than edit the query and turn on filters for Group A. Once you see the result, just edit the query and add group B and  group C to the filter. They will now be automatically included.

Hope I could solve your confusion

• 4. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                jhedelin Apprentice

Thanks for the answer.

Lets say i build a query for all my workstations  in my organisation, that query will be deployed to default applications that should be on every machine.

When a new computer shows up in LANDESK, the query will find that computer and install the default applications.

But some computers should be excluded from that query because thay are "test computers".

How should i exclude these computers?

The "test computers" could be a group or a query.

In SCCM i would just exclude the "test computers" collection in my collection for "default application".

• 5. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                  jhedelin Apprentice

Sorry for my basic questions, but i just started to work on a new company and the guy that was LANDESK admin are no longer working here.

On the client side, how do i update client policy? How do i see what applications that is distributed to the client?

• 6. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                    Apprentice

There are many ways to accomplish this.

Here are 3:

1) Using custom iventory field

• Open Inventory from a testmachine, and create a new custom field e.g. "testdevice" and set the value to "yes"
                    • Modify your query to exclude devices that have testdevice <> yes
                    • Now you make devices by this inventory flag to testdevices and of course remove them also

2) Rename Testdevice to a specific devicename

• Many companies have a specifc naming convention for devices especially test devices...For example normal pc are called COMPANY-XXXX, Testdevices are called TEST-XXXX
                    • Modify your query to exclude devices that have a devicename beginning with TEST%

3) Exclude specifc devices in the query. E.G. if your devicename of the testdevices are COMPANY-0004,COMPANY-0005,COMPANY-0006,

• Modify the query.... "devicename <> COMPANY-0004 or devicename <> COMPANY-0005 or devicename <> COMPANY-0006"
                    • 7. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                      Apprentice

For your basic questions,

the agent itself polls in specific intervalls whether new policies are available. If you don't want to wait, just execute policysync.exe from the LDClient folder on the client.

Well the other question I'm not 100% sure whether I understand you right. If you want to see which in which tasks the device is included and how is the status of it. Just right click on the device and select "scheduled tasks and diagnostics"

Then you will see all related tasks and the status of it.

If you just started with LANDESK, I would recommend a basic training from a technical consultant. Many partners and even LANDESK itself are offering trainings here. Maybe also an inhouse workshop with training character would be interesting.

I don't know your location, but if you go on the LANDESK website you should find available LANDESK Partner in your area. If you don't find a suitable partner, just let me know. Maybe we can arrange something.

• 8. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                        jhedelin Apprentice

Thank you very much, i will try to exclude some computers with your help.

Ok, i can run policysync.exe and update the client policy. But i also want to see what software are deployed on my client. (On the client) not in the console.

What applications are installed with LANDESK on the client, what is the results and so on.

In Altiris and SCCM you can just open up the Agent on the client, you can see what software are installed by the management server.

I am looking for a LANDESK course

• 9. Re: How do i include/exclude groups with computers in queries?
                          Apprentice

You are welcome. If your question is solved, just mark the thread here as solved.

Regarding your application question, I'm afraid, you can not see exactly what software was deployed over LANDESK in a user friendly view on the client itself.

But just open the inventory of the client and look under Computer > LANDESK Management > Software Distribution > History...

There you can see what was deployed through LANDES to this client. Since this information is in inventory, you can even query for it, which is pretty cool.

Hope this helps