5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 12:18 PM by MarXtar

TMC distribution job

Rookie

I have a SD job to distribute Adobe 8.1.2 that has a cab file that is about 90MB.  The delivery method is Push with target multicast and delay install with the Number of devices for simultaneous distribution option set to 10; the rest of the parameters are pretty standard. 

I have a problem where this cab file keeps failing during the multi cast download and the file can reach to a random size and then the download would stop.  The problem occurs about 50% of the times and has been seen on LAN and and VPN connections.  The computer object then goes into the pending mode waiting for the next login for the installation, which subsequently will fail.

Below is the task log file, I am not quite sure how to troubleshoot this one.  Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:08:46 File (
      pmi0342\software\adobe\reader\8_12\Setup.exe) is cached locally

Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:08:46 processing of package is complete, result 229392414 (0x0dac401e - code 16414)

• 1. Re: TMC distribution job
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You could try staging the file on preferred servers / staging it on the MDR's ? If something in the link breaks, it may be worthwhile just getting the file over to the MDR's themselves, and they can then transfer it in their subnet/location with relative independence of whatever is causing your connection loss?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: TMC distribution job
            Rookie

i was hoping someone can decipher the error code:

229392414 (0x0dac401e - code 16414)

• 3. Re: TMC distribution job
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Usually the exit code 229392414 (0x0dac401e - code 16414) is not an error but means, that the action was successful but will be completed at the next logon.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: TMC distribution job
                Rookie

Thanks for the explaination.  For the sake of conversation then, would you say the TMC service should return a better result code when the multicast is interrupted and for some reasons could not resume? Maybe it is my settings but shouldn't the service restart automatically where it got cut off during the transfer?

• 5. Re: TMC distribution job
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Better result codes would be useful.

However, auto-restarting would not be ideal for TMC since that could possibly mean a restart for each failed system.  Peer download is the mechanism that picks up the systems that didn't correctly get the package the first time around.