4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2015 7:17 AM by DennisUtman

From 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2

Rookie

Hey guys

So we are about to set up patch management in our LDMS environment and therefore we are considering upgrading from 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2.

Last time we were upgrading from 9.6 to 9.6 SP1, and a lot of stuff did not work and we were down for like 4 days

My question is, do any of you have any experience with upgrading from 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2? Anything that will stop working or something like that?

Thank you all in advance

/Dennis

• 1. Re: From 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2
          Expert

Hi Dennis,

Issues with upgrades happen all the time, with all products.

What I would suggest is that you plan in advance what can happen and how you can avoid it. To do this I would advise setting up a development/test environment with a copy of your vm, or using the vmware conversion tool, a physical to vm transfer to a vcentre application or using virtual box on your workstation, making sure you backup the database before hand. Now when you turn the virtual image on , make sure it is off the network and used in host only mode. This will prevent conflict with your current production core. Then using either a evaluation version of sql server or using your own copy, copy the database into your test environment and point the (now) test core to the backed up database.

Once finished test the upgrade and see if any upgrades occur.

If this is not possible, then backup backup and then backup some more. Backup your db before the upgrade and create a  virtual snapshot (if possible) of the actual core. Then rollback if there are any issues. Do this in downtime to prevent impacting the users.

Thanks

Martin

• 2. Re: From 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2
            Rookie

Hi Martin

Good advice there, and we are already going to backup everything, so I was looking for something more as a known-error or something.

Like in 9.6 SP1, Multicast did not work as it should, so if we had used multicast, we wouldn't consider 9.6 SP1 at all.

Anything that bugs with 9.6 SP2 in generel?

/Dennis

• 3. Re: From 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2
              Expert

Hi Dennis,

As every environment is different there is no way to predict what issues that you might experience this is why LANDESK would encourage you to test before hand.

I have heard of no issues with SP2 and have actually found it to be very stable.

Thanks

Martin

• 4. Re: From 9.6 SP1 to 9.6 SP2
                Rookie

Hi Martin

Good to hear that you found it to be very stable, that is what I want to know

/Dennis