3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 12:53 AM by mgeertsen

Microsoft Office 2013 Patches

Markus.Gonser ITSMMVPGroup

Hi everyone,

we´ve insert the newest patches for Office 2013 Proplus in our installation package.

Nevertheless LANDESK want to install during Patch&Compliance all old patches. (e.g. proofloc)

Is there something wrong in the detection of the patches?

thanks for your help

best regards

Markus

• 1. Re: Microsoft Office 2013 Patches
          Expert

The latest updates - i.e. those listed on http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2015/09/08/september-2015-office-update-release.aspx - doesn't necessarily cover all previously released security updates, so you'll most likely need to add older updates as well to be fully covered.

The last time I updated our Office 2013 installation package, I worked backwards from a list like the one above and added those along with any prerequisites. Then install the package on a test device and do a scan with either LANDesk or Windows Update. See which updates are missing and then extract the msp files from those and add them to the package. I worked backwards on the monthly releases and had to go back several months before I was about 90% covered.

Also, note that not all Office updates are available as msp updates so you can use them in the package. I encountered a few that were only available as exe files so I couldn't add those to the "Updates" folder in the package.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Microsoft Office 2013 Patches
            Apprentice

Exactly how did you convert the 240 so patches into MSP?  That's what I'm stuck on.  I have what amounts to a reference system so I know what patches to try to target and I even found a fancy script that helps me extract the .msp's... but in many cases it seems like the .msp's that it dumps out have duplicate names.  Now maybe that's only patches replaced by other patches, but I'm surprised landesk patch logic didn't exclude those on my reference system I snagged them from in the first place.

• 3. Re: Microsoft Office 2013 Patches
              Expert

That's where it gets a bit tricky and you'll need to put some work and testing into it.

If LANDesk says your test system needs 240 updates to Office 2013, then my first thought is that you'll need to clean up your patching content to get rid of replaced/old content. I'll give you that LANDesk doesn't do a very good job on the replacement information on non-security patches, but 240 still sounds like quite a lot. You could try verifying with Windows Update (remember to enable content from other applications than just Windows) and see how many updates that wants to install for Office 2013.

In regards to finding the .msp files you need, you should work backwards on the updates starting with the latest (the link in my first post). Download all the updates and use 7zip (or similar) to extract the .exe files. Save the .msp file (e.g. publisher-x-none.msp for Publisher) and copy that to a "Updates" folder. Repeat this for the last 4-6 months of updates, but do not overwrite any of the .msp files as they are cumulative so by starting backwards with the latest, you'll always have the fixes included from the older updates.

Bear in mind, that a few updates (Lync / Skype for Busniess is the only one I know for sure) have prerequisites that you need to make sure are installed in the correct order. My experience is that the Office installer will simply install the updates from the "Updates" folder in alphabetical order, so to get the prerequisites correct, you can rename some of the updates to e.g. 1mso-x-none.msp, 3lynchelp-en-us.msp so they will install before lync-x-none.msp.

Additionally, a few updates comes in localized versions, e.g. proof-en-us.msp, proof-es-es.msp and proof-fr-fr.msp. Here you'll need to include the updates that are included in the Office installation you use. In the English version, the languages English, Spanish and French are included so you'll need to include those 3 languages. There's no direct harm in including all the languages as they'll just fail to install if they're not applicable, but it will make your package larger and take longer time to install if you include things that are not really needed.

To give you an idea about how many updates you really need, I can inform you that the last time I did this exercise (November last year), I ended up with 31 .msp files in the updates folder, and that covered about 95% all Office 2013 updates at the time. As previously mentioned, there's a few updates that are not available as .msp files so they can't be included.

Office2013_updates.png

Good luck