5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 9:14 AM by ndtsuk_dean

Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning

Apprentice

Hi

I have started using a mixed hybrid of Provisioning and MDT to get my builds done. I use the MDT to install all drivers and OS and then the LANDesk agent at which point it reboots.

After the reboot I call a LANDesk provisioning task to install all required applications (as I was having issues in MDT doing this).

So this all works great but at a remote site with a replication server when I did a build it took ages on the install application and after checking the "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\CurrentDownloads.log it shows all the applications being downloaded from the CORE.

My question is how do I configure the Provisioning task to download the applications from a preferred server source as I just assumed it would work like normal software distribution and do this automatically!?

• 1. Re: Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning
          Apprentice

Hi DEan,

You perhaps need to have a look on the Distribution and patch settings.

Call me if you want we have a look on your template together.

Regards

• 2. Re: Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning
            Apprentice

Thanks for responding but I think I have checked and everything is OK from what I can see?

So my process is in MDT it calls %SCRIPTROOT%\Landesk_laptop_office2013std.ps1

The script is:

$username = "**HIDDEN**"

$password = ConvertTo-SecureString –String "**HIDDEN**" –AsPlainText -Force

$mycreds = New-Object –TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential –ArgumentList $username, $password

$coreServerName = '**HIDDEN**'

$templateName = 'DesktopApps_office2013std'

$deliveryMethod = 'Standard policy-supported push distribution'

$taskName = 'Provisioning Task'

$Computer = $env:COMPUTERNAME

$Date = Get-Date

$ScheduleTask = $templateName + " " + $Computer + " " + $Date

$mbsdk = New-WebServiceProxy -uri http://$coreServerName/MBSDKService/MsgSDK.asmx?WSDL -Credential $mycreds

$connected = $mbsdk.ResolveScopeRights()

$templates = $mbsdk.GetProvisioningTemplates()

$templateID = ($templates.ProvisioningTemplates | where-object {$_.Name -eq $templateName}).id

$taskID = $($mbsdk.CreateProvisioningTask($ScheduleTask, $templateID, $deliveryMethod, $false)).TaskID

$rc = $mbsdk.AddDeviceToScheduledTask($taskID, $env:COMPUTERNAME)

$rc = $mbsdk.StartTaskNow($taskID, "All")

So I checked $deliveryMethod = 'Standard policy-supported push distribution'

and the "Standard policy-supported push distribution" is set to "attempt peer", "attempt preferred server" and "allow source"

Inline images 1

• 3. Re: Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning
              Apprentice

So it appears to be an issue with preferred settings as all else is OK. After checking the some new builds they do not have a "preferedServer.dat" file in C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache.

I have checked through a few recently and it seems random if they have the .dat file or not?

• 4. Re: Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning
                Apprentice

UPDATE:

--------------

OK so it seems the preferred.dat file doe snot get created until a software distribution task is started which I can confirm that all is OK when I push a new application.

BUT... my problem still persists for my new builds that when the provisioning task is started and the application beging to install they are not for some reason creating a preffered.dat when starting a distribution and therefore going to the core (or peer if available) to download files.

How do I force the preferred.dat to get created? Do I need to log this to LANDesk?

• 5. Re: Installing Application from Preferred Server on Provisioning
                  Apprentice

I fixed the problem with a workaround!

In the provisioning template I have created a "Download from Preferred Server" Action. This simply copies a file from core but when this action starts it creates the missing "PreferredServer.dat".

Then when the application installs start the all use a preferred server OK now