1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 9:44 AM by markd123

Sysprep Installing Driver Twice

Rookie

I've always had an issue that I never really looked into, because it wasn't that serious. I am trying to setup a new machine time for provisioning and now I am having issues related to this. My issue is that when I deploy a machine with provisioning Windows always seems to go through driver installation twice. Once when booting up the first time in Audit mode and then all over again when booting after Sysprep was run with /oobe /generalize. Right now My issue is that on this computer it boots up fine with device drivers working properly (Quadro NVS310) in audit mode, but when it reboots after running Sysprep, the driver is no longer installed. I then have to manually install it through Computer Management pointing it at C:\Windows\LDDriverStore.

One, is this driver installation supposed to run again after already running in Audit mode? Two, if so, why would a driver be removed after Sysprep runs?

• 1. Re: Sysprep Installing Driver Twice
          Rookie

I wound up adding this section to my Unattend files:

<settings pass="generalize">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>

</component>

</settings>

This setting lets the drivers installed during audit persist after generalize is run. I'm not sure why this isn't in the LDMS sysprep template, but to me it seems logical. The computer initially boots in audit mode THEN runs sysprep to generalize the system. All the necessary drivers were injected and installed during audit, so there is no reason to strip them and reinstall them again on the next boot. Adding this setting cut down a lot on provisioning time for me so far and fixed my video driver issue. You wouldn't want to set this in a case where you are capturing an image AFTER sysprep has generalized the system, but this is not how LDMS is using the image and using sysprep.