1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 10:33 AM by puercomal

Question regarding scanning schedules and filter times.

Apprentice

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a new agent to deploy and I have a few questions regarding Inventory and Antivirus scanners. I am a little confused in my understanding when it comes to setting up start times along with time range filters.

Example...

I am in a retail enviroment and I would like to setup an AV scan to run at 5:00 AM every 6 days. I don't wan't the scan to run during business hours of 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM. My understanding would be that if I set the start time at 5:00 AM all the scans would kick off between 5:00 AM and 6:00AM. Problem is that I have noticed scans are running at all different times.

I have several questions...

If this is the case, what would cause them run at different times other then what I have set?

If a system is off durring the scheduled scan does the scheduler go ahead and kick off the scan immediatley when the system comes back on-line? Maybe this is whats happening.

If this is my problem, would putting in a time filter between 8:00 and 18:00 be my answer to resolve this?

Random delays... do all scheduled scans get a automatic delay up to one hour? I see that you can shedule an additional random delay so this leads me to belive you get 1 hour of random delay by default.

I tried to find documentation on this and looked in the help but I couldn't find clarification or specifics with regards to how the scheduler handles these types of things.

Thank You

• 1. Re: Question regarding scanning schedules and filter times.
          Employee

It's triggers, followed by filters. Localsch.exe starts on a trigger, randomizes a wait, then checks to see if it's within the filter. If filter doesn't match, it should stop and wait for the next trigger. I'd use localsch.exe | more on one of the affected clients to see what's really scheduled on the agent computer. Also, AV scans are potentially long-running, particularly if the CPU is throttled to the lowest setting; that runs for 16 hours with no noticeable utilization on my laptop.