7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 8:56 AM by HermiM

about the inventory scan process

HermiM Apprentice

Dear all,

Could any one help me with the inventory scan process. I will appreciate if there is a "process diagram" of what steps or what tasks will be running on the LanDesk core and client.

I have all the day reading about it but I still have some questions and some difficult to finish the puzzle

First inventory scan on computer --> a scan file named  "invdelta.dat" will be created on C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\. (I don't understand the role of LDAPPL3.ini file during software scans is it a configuration file for the SoftMon.exe tool or it will contain all identified software in the managed comptuter).

From now on, each time the LDISCN32.exe starts a new inventory scan, it will just update the already created file "invdelta.dat" . Now, I don't know if the tool "LDISCN32.exe" will detect if there are modifications in this file so it will send the scan file to the landesk core or it will send a scan file without checking. Does the scan file to send to LanDesk core will contain just modified data? and when it will be sended (Once the inventory scan is done or we can configure this parameter to be once a day).

• 1. Re: about the inventory scan process
          Apprentice

Check out some of the training documents in the E-Learning section. This one is specifically for Inventory/Software License Monitoring, and I think page 5 has exactly the information you are looking for (diagram included!)

Edit: Fixed typo in hyperlink

• 2. Re: about the inventory scan process
            HermiM Apprentice

thanks for the link :-)

• 3. Re: about the inventory scan process
              HermiM Apprentice

kevin.andring

Hi again,

the document was useful for me and I understood many topics related to the inventory process.

The problem that I still have some problems to understand the role of LDAPPL3 files during the inventory. For example, are they used just during software scans ? what is the difference between LDAPPL3.ini, LDAPPL3.template, LDAPPL3.pat, LDAPPL3. base ?

What I have found that LDAPPL3.ini in the server contains executable files detected on all managed devices (NOT ONLY the concerned device). I think that informations about executable files detected by " SoftMon.exe " are stored in the "fileInfo" table. I really don't know how does it work? and how does the LDISCN32.exe identify software in a specific managed device ?? and especially what are the concept behind using the LDAPPL3 files.

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance and waiting for your feedback.

• 4. Re: about the inventory scan process
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

The LDAPPL3 files are used to control how the inventory scanner behaves. in the past this was more important to understand but much of what it does is now in the console.

.ini .is the file used by the client. .base. pat etc are used as part of the compression and differential process so that clients download changes rather than the entire file.

.template on the server is the only one that you should ever edit directly as it is used when publishing 'make available to clients' to combine with the software list.

As for the files. Most often you don't need to touch this because LANDESK will be detecting files via MSI installers, shortcuts and also based on what is launched. The files in this list are ones that you have instructed (via manage Software List or the SLM console) LANDESK to scan for on all devices whether or not they are picked up vis other auto-detection methods.

There are other sections in the .template file that say what kinds of files (.exe etc) to scan for and whether to scan for ALL files, LISTED or UNLISTED but unless you need something specific you shouldn't touch those options.

Hope this helps. These files are pretty much under the covers tech these days but knowledge can still be useful. Is there something you are trying to achieve or are you just wondering what they are?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 5. Re: about the inventory scan process
                  HermiM Apprentice

Hi MarXtar,

Thank you for your explanation. No I am  new with LanDesk Management Suite and I would like always understand how does stuffs work from the inside

I still have some questions if I am not bothering you:

you said : The LDAPPL3 files are used to control how the inventory scanner behaves  --> during software scans or during both the hardware and software scans?

Could you please give more explanation how does the scanner use these LDAPPL3 files. For example first time the scanner starts working does the application section is empty(inside LDAPPL3.ini file) ? and does all the applications in this section (application section in LDAPPL32.ini) are all executable files detected in all managed devices (not only the one which is running the inventory scan. Because, as I understood there is just one LDAPPL3.ini file in the core server and all managed devices will compare the local ini file with the one which is stored on the core server).

One more thing why the LD Agent LDISCN32.exe download always the current version of LDAPPL3.ini? is it to optimize the software inventory process so the LD Agent find out if each entry in the registry database where SoftMon.exe stores all executable files that have been running (HKLM\Software\LanDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\SoftwareMonitoring\MonitorLog) is already in the list of already identified softwares so it will not be added to the final scan sent to the core server?

Thanks in advance.

HermiM

• 6. Re: about the inventory scan process
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Q: during software scans or during both the hardware and software scans

A: Just software scans. There is a bit of hardware stuff in there but it is really for backwards compatibility.

Q: first time the scanner starts working does the application section is empty(inside LDAPPL3.ini file) ?

A: The list isn't normally empty but it can be and files still get scanned.

Q: does all the applications in this section (application section in LDAPPL32.ini) are all executable files detected in all managed devices (not only the one which is running the inventory scan.

A: Yes all machines use this as they use a common ldappl3 file. It is possible to stop them updating but that is not normal operation.

Q: why the LD Agent LDISCN32.exe download always the current version of LDAPPL3.ini?

A: It doesn't always download. It checks to see if the central version is different to the local version. If it is different then it will download the changes.

Q: is it to optimize the software inventory process so the LD Agent find out if each entry in the registry database where SoftMon.exe stores all executable files that have been running (HKLM\Software\LanDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\SoftwareMonitoring\MonitorLog) is already in the list of already identified softwares so it will not be added to the final scan sent to the core server?

A: These are different things. The registry key is used to show what has been running on this machine. If it has been run, it will get scanned and data sent to the server (if changed). It does not matter if the file is in the ldappl3 file or not. If the file IS in the ldappl3 then it will get scannned even if it has not been run on the client before. This is part of the auto-discovered feature.

Further A: By looking at the To Be Dispositioned list of files in the Manage Software List section of the console you can see what has been auto-discovered. You can choose to add something to the To Be Scanned list and Make Available to Clients. This will add that file to the list so it is scanned on all machines regardless of whether it has been run before.

Hope this helps.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 7. Re: about the inventory scan process
                      HermiM Apprentice

Hi,

Thanks again for your feedback I apprecaite.

so all the executable files mentioned in the application section (inside LDAPPL3.ini) are to be scanned. So it is a configuration to tell the inventory scanner that it must scan this files?

Does each time a new executable file is added to LanDesk database (because it was running on a managed device or it is executable file identified from local drive) the file LDAPPL3.ini will be updated and the new executable file will be added so that all managed devices will search for this executable either in the registry entry mentioned above or in the local drive (if it wasn't never executed) or by querying MSI database (or from the registry where add/remove programs are stored)?

Thank you so much for your time and for your help

HermiM