8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 9:51 AM by Emrah

IP/DNS NAME Conflict

Rookie

Hello,

There numerous discussion regarding this topic but none helped.

We have machines that are turned off over the weekend. When they are turned on, I expect LanDesk to update and detect those machines with new IPs in a short period of time.

Any way to update inventory manually with freshly assigned IPs without waiting long period of time?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
          carlos Expert

Did you check the "scan when IP changes" setting in the Inventory Config?

• 2. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
            Rookie

Hi Carlos,

Yes, it's "checked"

• 3. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
              technobabble Apprentice

You may also want to consider having  the inventory scanner kick off with a 5-10 minute delay. This will allow the NIC enough time to initialize, send its ARP request and get its IP address. There is a possibility that an inventory (mini-scan) can run before all that happens.

• 4. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
                Rookie

Hello, are you talking about the Agent Configuration Setting under Inventory Settings=>General Settings? If so, it's already set to 5 minutes. Please see below.

scan111.PNG

I guess there is not a faster way for Landesk to capture an IP change??

• 5. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

The reference was in the Inventory Scan Settings. In there is the frequency at which to run inventory scans. It can have a delay set. Do you have one set?

schedule.png

If you remove the delay entirely it will not wait. However if you do have a delay it may run quickly or it may take up to one hour (depending on your settings).

Why is the IP a problem? Is it an issue with the console connecting? If so, have you tried changing the Configure - Agent Status Options to use DNS?

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 6. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
                    Rookie

Thanks MarXtar, Inventory Settings in our environment is below. The delay is set up to 1 hour.

Our DHCP lease duration is set to 3 days. Workstations are forced to shut down every evening. If a PC stays off more than 3 days, we have to wait for an extra day for LanDesk to pick up the PC with the new IP.

My concern is to speed up the process or do a manual process for the specific workstations, if any... BTW, Configure - Agent Status Options to use DNS is also checked.

I understand my inventory scan window is 1 hour everyday... Do I need to expand the window, say 8 hours during the work hours?

sacan2.PNG

• 7. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

That is an unusual setting.

The window you have set is going to prevent any scans from happening unless the current time is between 9-10AM. When coupled with the frequency and delays you have then it is quite possible that you won't get any scans for some time.

I suggest you try changing this by removing the time of day values (set them to none) and changing the frequency to once per day. The fact that you have a random delay means you will automatically be staggering the scans in addition to any natural spread of systems starting up. As per a prevuous response you might want to set the minimum delay to 1 or 2 minutes just to be certain it doesn't happen during the startup/login process.

If you do this, then you should get a new scan every day. You won't have machines that fail to send scans because they start later than 10AM or are unlucky that the delay pushes them outside of the scan window.

If you still feel you need to restrict when a scan could run, yes you should extend the window but it would be good to understand your reasoning for the restrictive scan window to make sure it is the right thing for you.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 8. Re: IP/DNS NAME Conflict
                        Rookie

I've modified the settings similar to your recommendation, will see how it goes

Thank you for responses, greatly appreciated!