3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 1:48 AM by Jenny.Lardh

Changing the Is Name attribute for Configuration Items?

Rookie

Do anyone know if it is possible to change the Is Name attribute for a configuration items to something other than the CI Title field?

For some of the CI types that we are recording we have a requirement to be able to duplicate the CI Title. However this isn't currently possible as the Configuration Item Title attribute is set as the Is Name field so needs to be unique. Although the option to change the Is Name field can seemingly be changed this won't save as it says it's "System defined class type" and can't be changed.

I appreciate we could just populate the CI Title with CI1, CI2, CI3 etc and use a different attribute for the actual CI title. However the CI Items List (for example) would then list the CI items and CI1, CI2, CI3 etc and not the more easily identifiable CI Title.

Has anyone else had this issue and come up with a different way around it?

Thanks,

Mark

• 1. Re: Changing the Is Name attribute for Configuration Items?
          Jenny.Lardh SupportEmployee

Hi Mark,

I wouldn't actually recommend changing what attribute is set to be the IsName attribute. The IsName attribute is used in multiple part of the product. It is the main attribute you see in drop down lists as well as the value you see in the list in Configuration Management.

It's probably the attribute used for any data import that you might have to match up with a unique value.

I would always suggest to have a unique value in here and then you can have a second title on the Configuration Item Object where you can enter any values that might not be unique.

For any queries you can then add both attributes as columns and when used as drop down lists, you can use a template to show more than one attribute if needed.

Kind Regards,

Jenny

• 2. Re: Changing the Is Name attribute for Configuration Items?
            Rookie

Thanks Jenny. I thought that might be the case.

If we start using a second attribute as the "CI Title" is there any way we could auto-populate the original Is Name with an incrementing value. i.e. CI0001, CI0002, CI0003?

Or would it always have to be manually populated?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Changing the Is Name attribute for Configuration Items?
              Jenny.Lardh SupportEmployee

Hi,

There is no feature that will allow you to rename all of your CI's in an incrementing way.

You could however, do so in a 3rd party tool, like excel and then import all the CI's into your Service Desk.

Please be aware thought, when doing this that if you already have CI's in your Service Desk system, you might be getting duplicates as you are looking to change the unique identifier.

Kind Regards,

Jenny