11 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 2:54 PM by clund

No Boot device after Restore!

Rookie

Interesting. After I restore PC from image it telling me that No Boot device.

Everything is there thought. I think it not creating MBR :).

Is anyone had same issue?  

• 1. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
          Rookie

What is this ??? Fix Vista??? I'm working with XP

"001EC9453774","OK",0,0:00:01,8/1/2008 11:29:59 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:00 AM,"sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\fixvista.bat" /p="http://10.8.4.237/landesk/files/FixVista.bat""

"001EC9453774","OK",0,0:00:00,8/1/2008 11:30:00 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:00 AM,"sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\fixntfs.exe" /p="http://10.8.4.237/landesk/files/fixntfs.exe""

"001EC9453774","OK",0,0:00:01,8/1/2008 11:30:00 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:01 AM,"sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /dest="x:\ldclient\bcdedit.exe" /p="http://10.8.4.237/landesk/files/bcdedit.exe""

"001EC9453774","OK",0,0:00:00,8/1/2008 11:30:01 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:01 AM,"RunBatch -1 X:\LDCLient x:\ldclient\FixVista.bat"

"001EC9453774","OK",5,0:00:04,8/1/2008 11:30:01 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:05 AM,"diskinfo extend_last_partition"

"001EC9453774","OK",-2147481750,0:00:06,8/1/2008 11:30:05 AM,8/1/2008 11:30:11 AM,"reboot, timeout=2"

; "Job Complete","1 Done","0 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

• 2. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - for one there's no "creating" an MBR - the MBR already IS there - and it will have partition information (at least I hope it does, or you wouldn't have partitions on your drive.

What may be the case is that no partition has been set as active. You can test this by booting into MANGED WINPE and launching a command window, and working with DISKPART to set your particular partition active.

I've seen in rare cases that this happens - no idea why or how (never been able to solidly reproduce it - seems to be related to hardware, but even so it's quite inconsistent) - but you can work around it by adding to the script sections to set the active partition to boot from yourself :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
              Rookie

Thanks Paul!

Yeap, this partition wasn't active. After I marked it as active with DISKPART everything looks groovy :). 

The reason why I was confused, because it's random. It happened with 2 PC's out of 10. 

• 4. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yeah - welcome to the "fun" of OSD.

Anything from acts of god / acts of "little brother pushing the power button" / "mice looking at cabling in a hungry way" / some obscure timing issues because of software/hardware combos and so on can cause you weird hiccups like this.

One of those "unintentional" things that keeps us in our jobs, I suppose :).

Whoever claimed computers are logical obviously never had one (for - logic is consistent) :p.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 5. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                  Rookie

After completing our 8.8 sp2 upgrade from 8.7 SP5... I have gotten this error a LOT!   Seems like it's almost 3 out of 10.  We have the work around... fine, but it is a HUGE pain.  I want to fix this problem.  Does anyone have any solution yet?

We are a Dell Shop, so all the machines we are imaging are dell.   And we have only recieved this error on laptops so far.  They have all been Latitude D600 series (D600, D610, D620).

Does anyone have any idea's?  I am pulling my hair out on this one!

Thanks,

Corey

• 6. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                    Joshni SupportEmployee

Try editing your assvol.txt file in the WinPE image.

Add the active command at the end.

Here are the contents of my Assvol.txt file.

select disk=0

select partition=1

assign letter=c

active

After you save the file reinject into the WinPE image and then redeploy the PXE rep.  That should resolve this issue.

Josh

• 7. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                      Rookie

Thanks Josh... I will give that a shot and let you know!

• 8. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                        Rookie

I have set the ASSVOL.TXT as shown:

select disk=0
                        select partition=1
                        assign letter=c
                        active

And still get the issue on a few machines when re-imaging.  Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Corey

• 9. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                          Apprentice

I've gotten this same issue on an IBM blade center when I was imaging the blades.

• 10. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                            Jason SupportEmployee

Are you using imagew v2 or still version 1.

If you are using V2 take a look at DOC-5191

• 11. Re: No Boot device after Restore!
                              Rookie

We are still using imagew.exe version 1 --- not on version 2 yet.