5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 1:28 PM by Jay

OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows

Rookie

I'm attempting to image some new laptops with a template (Win 7, x64) that has worked well for us in the past.  However, After running HII and CTOS, the image refuses to boot into Windows, giving me an error saying "Windows could not configure one or more system components.  To install Windows, restart the computer and continue the installation".  If I do restart the computer at that point, I get another error saying the Windows installation failed, or something along those lines.  In any case, I can't get it to boot into windows to finish running the tasks in the template. 

I first suspected this was an issue with HII, but I figured I'd still be able to get into Windows even if some drivers failed.  At this point, I can get every driver to install other than a video driver that requires a .CONFIG file to be copied to the LDDRIVERSTORE directory.  I found this - Issue: Some driver files are not getting copied to the computer with HII - and made the changes outlined in the article, however the .CONFIG file still won't copy.  So, I guess my first question is what else I need to do in IIS in order to get that file copied properly?  I saw someone else mention that I needed to allow that MIME type in IIS as well, but I have no clue how to do that.

My second question is this.  Would the failure of HII to install a video driver cause Windows not to even boot?  The odd part about all of this is that if I leave HII out of the template, Windows will boot, but the template won't resume for obvious reasons.  So now I'm suspecting the issue may be with CTOS, sysprep, or the unattend file.  I've poured over every log I can find countless times and I just can't figure this out for the life of me.  I see a few errors in the C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log file, but they haven't seemed to hinder the template in the past.  I only see the single failure in the C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.offline.log file regarding the failure to copy the .CONFIG file mentioned above.  Beyond that, I can't find any really detailed information as to what is failing or why.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• 1. Re: OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows
          Jay Apprentice

realiztik -- this may or may not help you but I had a similar issue where everything seems fine; but can't get out of the sysprep and into windows.  We had issues with a usb3 driver loading in HII before ctos.  We removed it from the driver library and the issue went away.

to get the usb3 driver loaded we do it as an assigned driver in HII during the system config phase of provisioning.

again not sure if its your issue but it caused me many a heartache at the same point as yours.

Thanks,

Jay

• 2. Re: OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows
            Rookie

How do you mean it loaded in HII before CTOS?  Did it somehow interfere with CTOS, or do you mean it just installed during the HII action before the CTOS action ran?  I've now gotten to the point where HII completes successfully, all drivers get installed, but I still get the same error that prevents me from booting into Windows.  It has to be some kind of issue with CTOS or sysprep I imagine.

• 3. Re: OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows
              Jay Apprentice

I mean a usb3 driver loaded in HII (successfully) causing the machine to never make it out of sysprep... kind of like what you are seeing.

So we removed the usb3 driver from the HII driver library and moved it to an assigned driver that runs in an HII task after you make it into the OS.

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks.

Jay

• 4. Re: OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows
                Rookie

Ah, gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.  How did you figure out which driver it was that was causing sysprep to stick like that?  Also, did you have to find a way to keep it from installing a driver from another machine somehow?

• 5. Re: OS Provisioning - HII Failure & Cannot Boot Into Windows
                  Jay Apprentice

It was a bit of dumb luck and process of elimination:

We had just received new Laptops with the USB3 ports and found when we initially imaged them that the USB3 driver wasn't loaded along with a few others.  we loaded the drivers into our HII library and re-ran the image and it started giving us issues. As that was the only thing to change in our provisions at the time we started removing the drivers one at a time and seeing when it was fixed.

wish I had a better story or a log for you to check...

Thanks,

Jay