1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 3:16 AM by emyl

Database errors causing problems with inventory

Apprentice

Hello.

We recently upgraded to 8.8 (and we have also installed service pack 1) and have since had the following error messages show up in the event log. The first one says this: Inventory server detected {89FF8FEC-C909-4443-9177-B92CC2A72C29} as a duplicated device ID

I looked in the forums and have not found the same error message so I am stumped on that one.

The second error message says this: Scan file from {57534A2D-3758-374A-9124-C78C74E566D7} contains an invalid Product Definition.  Make sure the scanner is using a current ldappl3.ini file.

I have tried to push out the new ldappl3.ini file by going to the Software License Monitoring tool and using the "Make Available to Clients" button but I am still getting the same error. It is generating a lot of files in the ErrorScan folder. I went to the client in question and was able to browse to the ldmain\ldlogon share via a web browser and get to and download the Ldapple3.ldz file so I don't think it is a connectivity issue. Also I checked the Mime types in IIS on the core and .ldz is listed.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

jeff

• 1. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
          Apprentice

also i forgot to mention that i restarted the inventory service and the core itself a couple of times and i am still getting a lot of ErrorScans.

thanks.

jeff

• 2. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
            Jed SupportEmployee

There is a patch (9355) included with SP1 that has changed the way that the Inventory service works, it is likely that this is causing these errors.  It sounds strange but this is to be expected, the redesign is causing your clients to sync information that previously was incorrect and these errors are the result. 

The errors should over time (may be a few weeks) resolve themselves until they are no longer happening, but if you would like to expedite this process I recommend you create a batch file or script to remove c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\data\invdelta.dat, this will purge the older incorrect data.  The file will be recreated during he next scan.

While you're waiting for the errors to cease you will want to watch you Inventory Server Service and make sure that it stays running, because after the number of errors specified in Configure > Services the service will shut down automatically.

If the errors should continue on a small number of clients you will want to push full Agents to those machines because the Agent is likely not updating the LDAPPL3.INI regularly and hasn't gotten the new scan information from the core server.

--Jed

• 3. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
              Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, Jed.

I don't think the Inventory Service has been stopping. I check it pretty much everyday.

Would you happen to know if there is a forum article on how to create the batch file you are talking about? Seems like I saw one recently. I must admit I am a little inexperienced with batch files.

As for pushing out new agents. That does make sense because when we upgraded I created a scheduled task to UPDATE the agents and not install new ones. Quick question about that: Will i need to uninstall the old agent first or will it over-write it?

I will see if the database errors work themself out over the next couple of days. Thanks for the help.

jeff 

• 4. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                Jed SupportEmployee

The batch file will look something like this (Warning! Improper use could result in data loss or corruption, make sure you test everything fully before you implement something like this.) :

@echo off
                     cmd /c attrib "c:\progra1\landesk\ldclient\data\invdelta.dat" -h
                     del "c:\progra
                1\landesk\ldclient\data\invdelta.dat"
                     "C:\progra~1\landesk\ldclient\LDISCN32.EXE" /NTT=:5007 /S="" /I=HTTP:///ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD Replace with the name of your core server.

This will delete the file and start a scan to recreate the file.

--Jed

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                  Apprentice

hey Jed,

So i went to a machine to test to see if deleting the invdelta.dat would make a difference but after I did it and tried to run a scan it still generated an error scan on the core. I did, however, reinstall the the agent from the client and it seems to have fixed the problem.  I guess I just need to push out the agent again to the machines generating the error scans.

I am still getting the error message in the core's event log that says: Inventory server detected {42B8A1A8-85AB-D94B-BBB1-473549A436FE} as a duplicated device ID.

I have always had issues with machines being listed two and three times in inventory. How should I have my duplicate device settings configured to avoid this. Could my database be corrupted?

Thanks.

jeff

• 6. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                    Jed SupportEmployee

Devices that are not getting updated LDAPPL3.INI files will need their Agent re-installed, this is probably what you're seeing.  The batch file should work in most cases.

--Jed

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                      Apprentice

Ok....so it has been a week or so. I have turned off delta scans and tried to re-install agents and I still seem to be getting a lot of error scans. Do you think it would be easier just to reset my database using the CoreDBUtil? I think my database may be corrupted in some way. And if I do reset it, would I have to reinstall agents?

Thanks.

jeff

• 8. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                        MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Jeff,

You have two issues listed here. One is duplicate device IDs and the other is an invalid product definition. So far all of the answers have really concentrated on replacing the ldappl3.ini which could address the product definition error. What I don't see in your last reply is whether the errors are mostly device ID or definition related now.

If it is device ID related you need to look in Configure Services - Inventory - Device ID and see how this is set to handle the situation. How this is set depends a bit on the exact version you are using. There are plenty of posts in this community that can help to understand and deal with this situation if it is causing the most problems.

Screenshot is of the default settings.  The reject Duplicates should be telling machines to generate a new ID.

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 9. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                          Apprentice

hey Mark,

thanks so much for the quick reply. I have had an ongoing battle with the Device ID settings. I could not quite figure out how to set it up because I was getting duplicate device entries for the same computer in Inventory....they were mostly laptops with wireless cards so I tried to tweak the settings but I still get duplicate entries occasionally so I am not sure how to set the settings. And I turned off "reject duplicate IDs" because some of my devices were simply disappearing from Inventory altogether.

I can deal with duplicate devices in Inventory but the error scans are a little frustrating. Jed had mentioned forcing a full /SYNC scan from one of the clients that was causing an error scan. I tried that after uninstalling and re-installing the agent and the machine and at first the machine showed up but then mysteriously disappeared from Inventory the next day. 

I wouldn't rule out user error but I am starting to think there is something else wrong. So let me ask you this: Would resetting my database fix my problem or just cause more do you think? 

Thanks, Mark

jeff

• 10. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

"at first the machine showed up but then mysteriously disappeared from Inventory the next day."

This is the classic sign of a duplicate device ID problem.  Your machines are overwriting each other.  LANDesk is detecting this but you have told it not to do anything to fix it.  If you have a situation where these laptops make it impossible to use this feature you need to find the systems affected another way.  Look at the device ID listed and locate the device in the database.  This is a starting point for that ID and perhaps you can identify the affected image that caused this.

You also need to pay attention and see if more than one device id is detected as duplicated.  You will need to setup some kind of routine to delete the ids on these machines either as a gpo or a login script.  You possibly could use LANDesk if you set a script as a policy and apply it to everyone as a required policy, just make sure your policy targets only known bad IDs.

unfortunately, resetting the database won't help because the problem is on your clients.  You must delete the ID in the registry on those clients because that is what uniquely identifies them in the database.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Common Api\UniqueID

You also need to find the bad images, clean them, and make sure your teams are fully aware of how they must create images in the future (i.e not with the landesk client in them at all, or at the very least with this key removed).

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

• 11. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                              Jed SupportEmployee

MarXtar is right,  (I sometimes get in a hurry and just reply to the first post, I didn't even register the Duplicate Device ID problem until he mentioned it) you need to tweak that for sure.  Are you still having the PK Hash issue crop up in your Event Logs?  The batch file resolves that, though in some cases I've found you need to rebuild the LDAPPL3 files.

--Jed

• 12. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                                Apprentice

ok...so i was hoping to get this straightened out (and somethings are) but i am still having some issues with my ldappl3 files. I still get the following error on my core: Scan contains an invalid product definition. Make sure scanner is using a current ldappl3.ini file.

I have deployed a script via group policy to delete the registry keys that store the Unique ID and i have even gone into the local registry of some of the machines that are causing errors and deleted the key and for the most part that seems to have worked. I think the ones that are still causing errors have most likely not executed the GPO startup script...I only deployed it a couple of days ago. So hopefully once those scripts start running, some of the error scans will disappear.

I ran into another problem today while trying to deploy a PXE rep to a machine. The machine, by the way, was already acting as a PXE rep but was deleted in inventory (still working on tweaking the duplicate device ID settings). So I tried to force a scan from the client side and I got an error that said: "Unable to locate master software list at http://corename/ldlogon/ldapple3.ini. Your local copy may not be current"

I am able to browse via IE to the ldlogon share and I can even downlowd the ldappl3.ini file. I checked IIS on my core and it is running. I turned off the firewall on the local machine. And I uninstalled and reinstalled the agent on the client and manually deleted the aforementioned registry keys. This error message only occurs when I use the /F /SYNC flags. I am not seeing an error scan for this machine but everytime I try to connect to that machine from the core it says that it is off.

Oh yeah, and I deleted all the ldappl.* files in the logon share (except the ldappl3.template) and clicked on "make available to clients" and all of the files were recreated. Could my ldappl3.template file be corrupted? and if so, can I download a new one somewhere? 

Pardon me but WTF am i doing wrong here?

thanks for all the help.

jeff

• 13. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Did you type that error from memory or copy it from the screen?  I ask because ldappl3 reads as ldapple3 which may be the 'core' issue here

Also, it says ldapple3.ini instead of ldappl3.ldz  the scanner launch line must be /I=http://coreserver/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz since it needs to point to the compressed version of the file.

Make sure the scanner launch line has not be correupted and is referencing the correct file.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

• 14. Re: Database errors causing problems with inventory
                                    Apprentice

Hey Mark. Thanks for the reply. Yes that was a typo. i was doing it from memory. I checked the properties of the scanner shortcut. It does say ldappl3.ldz.

jeff

1 2 Previous Next