1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 9:24 AM by phoffmann

Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...

Rookie

I'm currently trying to encourage our business to use Provisioning for Desktop/Laptops currently using standard OSD,

• Bare metal builds

• Scheduled task created before device hits desk from there hit F12 and away we go.

Couple of issues 9 time out of 10 if you schedule a task before the devices hit the desk the task doesn't automatically start the task you have scheduled, been a few times where the machine will PXE automatically go into Provisioning and automatically use the provisioning template that has been scheduld thats great but its hit a miss, any suggestions why that isn't working all the time would be great.

Secondly I seem to be getting the machines stuck at waiting for template quite a lot, The ldprovision.exe log states "Call web services GetTaskXML()" 40 times then it takes me back to the Provisioning tasks menu, if I'm persistent it will finally go through but it's a bit hard to sell this to the business I need it to work 100% of the time (Just like standard OSD).

We are running LANDesk 8.7 SP5

• 1. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - next time you have this 40-attempts thing happening, run an "iisreset" on the Core.

I'd suspect IIS needs a bit of reconfiguring on your side for more frequent recylcing and dedicated application pools ... if it works fine after the "iisreset" all of a sudden, your problem is IIS and its configuration.

There's BKM's on configuring IIS, and we can help with that. Try that first of all, to make sure we're heading in the right direction.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
            Rookie

Typical next try it goes though on the 6 attempt!!

Which of the web applications would you add to a new app pool

/landesk/ManagementSuite/Core/Provisioning.secure?

/landesk/ManagementSuite/Core/ProvisioningWebService?

Both?

Other?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...

I'd probably haul both Provisioning parts into a dedicated app pool - but more important than a dedicated app pool is the recycling frequency of the app pool.

IIS (like most of things) will eventually start hanging, which is why app pools need to be recycled. Usually a set frequency of recycling an app pool every 2 hrs (120 minutes) resolves the issue. (Note that this is NOT set by default. Microsoft only recycles after 1740 minutes, which is every 29 hours). Yank that down to 120, run "iisreset" (to have it apply the changes proper), and you should be better off :).

So you can leave 'em where they are - just increase the recycling interval to begin with :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                Rookie

Hello...

I also have the same problem... i've tried to set iis as you have suggested but the problem persist.

Landesk is 8.7 SP5

I've see that the problem occur when i'm testing the provisioning template and they are executed many times on same computer, so when the problem appear if i change the test-computer the ptovisioning template are execute normally.

• 5. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                  Rookie

Hi have the same problem with LanDesk 8.8 SP1 .

I have try it with an issreset and I have set the frequency of recycling the app pools every 2 hrs (120 minutes) --> I done this but I have no knowledge about "app pools".

BUT in my testings I found a solution for me...... it works now directly three times.... not a lot but I will test it out the next day(s).

I have include in the template 5 other templates one of this was one with a lot of entries for software distribution (~20 and some with depencies).

Now I have split this big one in the first step in two smaller ones (50-50) --> and it seems that it works now.

• 6. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                    Rookie

I am also still getting this, after Paul's advice, IISRESET doesnt improve things, I think it does seem relative to the size of the Template used I have removed the majority of the Software installs from the system configuration and I seem to be getting a better hit rate.

JJU just so I fully understand your responce, did you break down your template into two templates and then add them to your master template? But doing this only worked 3 times then it didnt work after that?

Anybody have any other advice as I will eventually need to add the software installs back in to fully provision a device or is it time to log a call?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...

May be worth while opening a ticket. We can throw a few of the recent Provisioning patches at you, and see if they help.

If they do not, we'll need exact steps when the problem occurs and when it does not ... it's possible that "something" in the provisioning code starts hanging if you're installing a lot of different apps.

Alternatively, it's nothing to do with "a lot of apps" but rather "long installs" - something like a timeout or so ... you should have a close look at the software stack you're installing, and find out if it's more the "plenty of installs" or more the "long installs" that cause you grief.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical lead.

• 8. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                        Rookie

Yes I break down the big template in two templates and add these to my master template.

After the change above this works yesterday three times and today also three times. In other words it seems that the problem is "gone".

I found this "workarround" yesterday so I will test it the next days.......

• 9. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                          Rookie

NO, i have some little template, only for prepare a new disk or install provisioning template but they don't start!

I have opened a case to Landesk Support but the problem is still here... no words!

• 10. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                            Rookie
                            phoffmann schrieb:

Alternatively, it's nothing to do with "a lot of apps" but rather "long installs" - something like a timeout or so ... you should have a close look at the software stack you're installing, and find out if it's more the "plenty of installs" or more the "long installs" that cause you grief.

When I get "Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template..." the PC is in first PE-Boot where I have to choose my master template --> then it hangs and after the 40 times it goes back to the menu to choose a master template!

I think at this point it has nothing todo with my software stack, long installs or timeouts....

Of course, we have already opening a ticket over our consultant...... when I have more time I will switch back to the "big" template to look if the error is to be reproduce.

• 11. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                              Employee

Fixed two cases with this error but different solution:

1.      Make sure that you used the right template properties

a.       Boot Environment – Windows PE ( Example)

b.      Target OS – Windows XP (Example)

In my case the customer forgot to choose the Target OS, it was still on “Not applicable” which was in the end the cause of the problem.

a.       I got it to work in the second case after I cleaned up the ldscan folder and restarted the inventory service.

b.      I moved the files to a backup folder.

• 12. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                                Rookie

Hey there, I'm also running into this issue within our environment.  Its definately an odd issue, considering the provisioning templates were working perfectly fine this morning, then about 2 hrs into my day, I started having provisioning action failures on some of the machines, and now the system won't even load a template.

I've tried restarting the core server twice, re-sync'd my database, ran the dbrepair util (probably unnecessary), tried an IISRESET and still nothing.

Currently running Landesk 8.8sp2.

Is there any place to check logs to see why this is failing or to give me a clue in which direction to look?  The provisioning history in the management suite doesn't really give any useful information, and the core server isn't getting bombed with app logs, so they have to be somewhere I would assume?

• 13. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                                  Spartan Apprentice

I seem to be having the same problem post SP2, all was working well prior to the update.

It's a little random so I'm still trying to isolate the problem.

*Update*

Never mind, the problem has gone away.

It seemed to be effecting a machine that was placed in the queue prior to the update.

Despite re-deploying my PXE rep it just would not work... I just added it in as a bare metal Device and it was happy again.

• 14. Re: Retry 40 of 40, Waiting for Template...
                                    Joshni SupportEmployee

I have seen this issue before as well. In this case the provisioning.log file showed that it was unable to load history for the client that we were trying to run the template on.  We just removed the computer from inventory and then PXE booted it again.  It worked fine after that.

Hope this helps.

Josh N.

1 2 Previous Next