3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2008 2:24 PM by DaveE

Query Problems for File Name and/or Application Suite

Apprentice

This is a LANDesk single server install, version LDMS 8.80.0.249, on a dedicated HP BL460C blade server (Xeon 5110 dual-core, dual processors, 4gb, 146 gb mirrored), Windows Server 2003, using an external SQL 2005 SP2 database on a separate similar HP blade server. 

In an effort to run a query in LANDesk to determine, for example, who has versions of MS Office less than 2007 (v.12), and who does not have the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed, two methods have been attempted--both of which fail in one way or the other. 

To start, this simple query works fine to identify who has Office 2007 installed:

"Computer"."Software"."Package"."File Name" = "WINWORD.EXE"

AND "Computer"."Software"."Package"."Version" < 12          

(This assumes we install all package components, thus Word is always part of the package.  Version 12.n is Office 2007.)

A different simple query to find who has Office 2007 has failed.  It looks for the suite installation vs. a single file:

"Computer"."Software"."Application Suites"."Application Suite"."Name" = "2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)"

This method, however, does not work.  Rather, it returns multiple unrelated .exe programs installed on each PC.

Using these same methods to find who has the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack, likewise yields poor results, searching for package file name "MOC.EXE" (a component unique to the compatibility pack), or searching for the application suite = "Compatibility pack for the Office 2007 system"

When simply searching for moc.exe, the query does not find it on all machines (how much more straight-forward could that be?) that do have it.  When searching for the suite, the query finds so many unrelated .exe files that it's obvious something isn' working right.

Bottom Line:  I'd like to simply identify, in one simple query, who has MS Office < version 12 (2007) and does not have the compatibility pack ( not like moc.exe), which would then identify who needs to get the compatibility pack.  These queries aren't working.

What's the issue here?  My brain power re: some hidden nuance, or is query broken?

• 1. Re: Query Problems for File Name and/or Application Suite
          zman Master

To see who has not installed Orifice 2007 and also not installed the compatability pack:

Compute.Software.Application Suites. Application Suite. Name &lt;&gt; Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (or whatever version you have)

AND  Compute.Software.Application Suites. Application Suite. Name &lt;&gt; Compatability Pack for the 2007 Office system

Sometimes it is easier to App Suites, sometimes not. 

• 2. Re: Query Problems for File Name and/or Application Suite
            Apprentice

Well, part of the high volume output was Friday afternoon doldrumsI had unqualified version selected for the column listing which put out all the extraneous data. (yes, duh.)   That solved, it usually appears that the application suite method works, but in cross-checking (as I was doing before posting this), I still get errors on checking for existence of specific files within the package (most specifically, moc.exe or others within the compatibility packand which are confirmed to be present), but don't query out properly--thus the mistrust.

What I've done that seems to work is:

computer.software.application suites.application suite.name <> Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System

AND (computer.software.package.file name = winword.exe AND computer.software.package.version < 12)

This confirms that the compatibility pack is not present AND Office IS installed, but not 2007. 

So, I still have the question why a query against a specific file that I've confirmed does exist isn't successful.

• 3. Re: Query Problems for File Name and/or Application Suite
              SupportEmployee

When attempting to use the version field you have to be careful.  It is a string field, so if you say something is &lt;12, it will do a string compare.  For example, version 8 is greater than version 12, also version 100 is less than version 12.

Managed Planet's Executive Report Pack has a reporting feature that allows you to work around this issue, by expliciting telling which versions are less than others.