1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 9:12 AM by scottunify

OSD "Waiting for Command" problem

Rookie

Hey all,

Currently having a problem deploying images to machines. This has worked no problem in the past, but within the last few days it gets stuck on "waiting for command". I am able to get past the part where I choose which OS to deploy to the machine and it processes all the commands, passes the wiping partition part, then it comes to starting Imaging Tool, screen clears and I'm left with the "Waiting for Command" at the top of the screen, where it hangs and goes no further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you need anymore info, let me know.

Thanks all,

Ben

• 1. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

What is happening in the log file?  Sounds like the imaging tool is encountering an error and exiting leaving the script in limbo as it has nowhere else to go.

Are the machines different in any way causing the imaging to fail?

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
            Rookie

Hey there MarXtar,

I believe this is the logfile that pertains to the problem...

"Machine","CbaStatus","ExitCode","Duration","Begin","End","Command"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:00,13/08/2008 09:47:14,13/08/2008 09:47:14,"DOS"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:14,13/08/2008 09:47:15,"ldlogon.exe ldservice 1072868CF0C5CBB11CF2B0C1B77 headoffice, TIMEOUT=300"

"001372E11C94","OK",458752,0:00:02,13/08/2008 09:47:15,13/08/2008 09:47:17,"net use i:
            jerry\ldimages, STATUS(85) FACILITY=7 TIMEOUT=300"

"001372E11C94","OK",458752,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:17,13/08/2008 09:47:18,"net use h:
            jerry\ldmain, STATUS(85) FACILITY=7 TIMEOUT=300"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:18,13/08/2008 09:47:19,"r:\net\htget -o r:\dos\tokrepl.exe http://172.23.1.24/landesk/files/tokrepl.exe, STATUS"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:02,13/08/2008 09:47:19,13/08/2008 09:47:21,"r:\net\htget -o r:\dos\fworkcl.exe http://172.23.1.24/landesk/files/fworkcl.exe, STATUS"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:21,13/08/2008 09:47:22,"r:\net\htget -o r:\dos\pworkcl.exe http://172.23.1.24/landesk/files/pworkcl.exe, STATUS"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:22,13/08/2008 09:47:23,"r:\net\htget -o r:\dos\prtition.exe http://172.23.1.24/landesk/files/prtition.exe, STATUS"

"001372E11C94","OK",458752,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:23,13/08/2008 09:47:24,"r:\net\htget -a h:\osd\imaging\IMAGE.EXE, STATUS FACILITY=7"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:02,13/08/2008 09:47:24,13/08/2008 09:47:26,"prtition wipe, STATUS"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:26,13/08/2008 09:47:27,"command.com /c h:"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:27,13/08/2008 09:47:28,"command.com /c cd \osd\imaging"

"001372E11C94","OK",0,0:00:01,13/08/2008 09:47:28,13/08/2008 09:47:29,"echo Running OS Imaging tool. Please wait..."

"001372E11C94","ERR_Fail",-1917452221,0:00:02,13/08/2008 09:47:29,13/08/2008 09:47:31,""command.com /c h:\osd\imaging\IMAGE.EXE /RN /O i:\GX520\GX8051~1\ZZZZ00.IMG", STATUS FACILITY=3510"

; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

Any ideas? :o\

Cheers again

Ben 

• 3. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Not too strong on the exit codes.  I would launch a pure command prompt and then try lauching the commands myself to see what actually happens or even just launch the image.exe and try locating the image.  Something is making it fail so see if the application itself will tell you more clearly than an errorcode could.

To launch the command prompt, just do a remexec999 command.com before it would launch the image.exe (999 so that it is a unique number.

• 4. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                Rookie

Probably being stupid... I tried launching the Image.Exe tool and a cmd prompt pops up telling me that it must be run in dos and not a dos box... Also, the remexec999, how do I do this? :o\

Cheers again...

Ben 

• 5. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                  Rookie

Another thing, when LANDesk is going through the OSD process, does it temporarily map a few drives? I noticed that it is using H: for the path to the imaging tool, even though the server does not have an H drive. This might be nothing, but figured I'd throw it out then anyway...

CHeers 

• 6. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Go to the script you are using to deploy, right-click it in the console and choose Advanced Edit

You should find in there a section similar to:

REMEXEC29=prtition wipe, STATUS

REMEXEC30=command.com /c h:

REMEXEC31=command.com /c cd \osd\imaging

REMEXEC32=echo Running OS Imaging tool. Please wait...

REMEXEC33="command.com /c h:\osd\imaging\IMAGE.EXE /RN /O i:\test.img", STATUS FACILITY=3510

REMEXEC34=h:\osd\imaging\mouse OFF

REMEXEC35=r:\dos\tokrepl.exe r:\guid.pds DEVICEID=%Computer - Device ID%

REMEXEC33= is the line launching the imaging tool. Make a new line between this and the previous line and add this command:

REMEXEC999=command.com

So you should have a script similar to:

REMEXEC29=prtition wipe, STATUS

REMEXEC30=command.com /c h:

REMEXEC31=command.com /c cd \osd\imaging

REMEXEC32=echo Running OS Imaging tool. Please wait...

REMEXEC999=command.com

REMEXEC33="command.com /c h:\osd\imaging\IMAGE.EXE /RN /O i:\test.img", STATUS FACILITY=3510

REMEXEC34=h:\osd\imaging\mouse OFF

REMEXEC35=r:\dos\tokrepl.exe r:\guid.pds DEVICEID=%Computer - Device ID%

What should happen is it will get to that point and simply leave you at the command line and then you can try running the image.exe as you are running in DOS. Each line must be numbered uniquely but do not need to be numbered sequentially, hence the 999.

• 7. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                      Rookie

Righty, I tried that, and just as you said it stopped at the command prompt from which point I was able to navigate to the image.exe file, then grab the script and deploy the image. Worked fine, but no idea why on earth this problem has started, as I said, it was working fine recently and for some reason it's all changed. This is a useful temporary workaround, so I really do appreciate the help. If you can think of why this might have occured in the first place, I'd be happy to find out.

Thanks again MarXtar :o)

• 8. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                        Apprentice

did you run: "IMAGE.EXE /RN /O i:\test.img"

or did you just launch Image.exe and browse to the image file? 

I have seen Image.exe mis-behave in the past. 

What version and sp of LANDesk are you on?

• 9. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                          Rookie

Hey there Tarmour,

I launched the image.exe and then navigated to the .img, which worked ok and the machine rebuilt successfully. Really strange that this suddenly started happening though...

Currently running 8.7 SP4.

You say that you have seen the image.exe misbehave in the past, have you run into this problem before?

Cheers

Ben 

• 10. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                            Rookie

What are those switches for that you mentioned?

• 11. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                              Apprentice

The switches are from the script.  I should have cut and pasted this "IMAGE.EXE /RN /O i:\GX520\GX8051~1\ZZZZ00.IMG" from above.

Verify that this fails.

I just upgraded from 8.7 sp4 last week and the work around we used was changing the /O to a /C in the .ini file.

Verify from the command prompt that this resolveds the issue. Run: "IMAGE.EXE /RN /C i:\GX520\GX8051~1\ZZZZ00.IMG"

Easiest way is to right click the OSD script in the console and do an advanced edit.

shearch for image.exe then make the change in that line and save it. 

I don't recall the exact error we were getting, but it had something to do with the partition table or MBR. 

The comand line option change I got from either here or from terabyteunlimited.com (image.exe is OEM'd from them), I dont remember.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                                Rookie

Thanks for your help on this guys... Running the image.exe has worked fine as a work around, but still no closer to getting this sorted completely. But hey, for now things can be built...

Ben 

• 13. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                                  Apprentice

Hi all

Our LDMS 8.8 Imaging was working fine until recently.  We tried to image 2 different laptop models. we could select the image from the PXE Boot Menu then "Waiting for Command" appears virtually immediately:-

LANDesk(R)Management Agent
                                  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                                  001143FE6D57
                                  Waiting for command...

We have seen this before and it has been resolved in the past by restarting the Inventory service and/or WWW Publishing service.  We rebooted the server and imaging still fails at "Waiting for Command".  We checked "Ignore Mini-Scans" is disabled, as it should be.  We noticed there was no entry in the core server for either laptop's name or MAC address, nor in the LDSCAN folder.  So, we enabled "Store Scans" and restarted the Inventory service when prompted and we do see .IMS and .SCN files appearing when imaging but still only as far as "Waiting for Command". 

This has also been resolved in the past simply by trying again the next day, which we suspect is attributed to DB maintenance that occurs at every night.  However, we left it over night and the problem remains.  We are now seeing the mini-scans appear in the core server so it would appear the Inventory service is working properly but the imaging still hangs at "Waiting for Command".

We have also try Mark's suggestion to break the script to a command prompt by inserting REMEXEC999 command.com like so:-

[MACHINES]
                                  REMEXEC999 command.com
                                  REMMKDIR0=%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%
                                  REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /p="http://%CUSTJOBHOSTIP%/landesk/vboot/bootfile.exe"
                                  REMEXEC2=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\sdclient.exe<qt/> /f /o /p="http://%CUSTJOBHOSTIP%/landesk/vboot/tlibr16.dll"

The script continues to hang at "Waiting for command" so it appears to be running before the [Machine] section (?) but not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Scott

• 14. Re: OSD "Waiting for Command" problem
                                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

Scott,

there's a couple of things that can cause this. These things usually are:

* IIS dies (in which case, an "iisreset" should help. If this resolves the issue temporarily, you need to look at your IIS configueration (up to 8.7 we've thrown everything into a single application pool, this has changed for reasons such as this one in 8.8 and is likely to be continuing to see better improvements as we go).

* Inventory Service dies (this is pretty rare), and thus the Core never recieves an update / scan-file from the client.

* The "LANDesk Management Agent" disappears from the Core Server. This one is usually (as best as I can tell) tied to upgrading a service pack (this is only a guess, as it's VERY unreliable in happening, and I can at best use trending on this one), but it's quite easy to fix actually. If you open up a ticket with support, we can provide you the info (I'm still working on getting this into a KB-article, as the most frustrating part is that "it seems to just happen", I've no idea what makes the services disappear just like that).

That's "usually" the list of reasons why this stuff goes wrong, see if that applies.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 2 Previous Next