2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2015 7:57 AM by cri

How to do the Windows Updates when creating an image?

Apprentice

I have installed Windows 8.1 and then booted into Audit mode into the built in Administrator account. I have installed all the software I need, all I need now is to do the windows updates. But it has been checking for updates all day and not found any.

Should I have booted into audit mode to create my image, is this the best practice?

• 1. Re: How to do the Windows Updates when creating an image?
          Apprentice

Usually you just boot into audit mode and configure the system to your liking, including software, os updates and more.

However I recommend only to put very basic settings into the image and apply the windows patches you need.

This way you get some nice basic image you can use multiple times and apply software within the os deplyoment actions.

Gives you more flexibility after all...

When you are done with your configuration activate oobe with shutdown.

Afterwards boot from network and capture your image via landesk.

The basic process is pretty much the same with win 7 onwards.

Greetings

PS: You do have a working network connection with the to be captured device, do you?

• 2. Re: How to do the Windows Updates when creating an image?
            cri Apprentice

This is by design, Windows Update will not run during the OOBE phase in Win8.1 (audit mode is detected as oobe for some reasons) but you can still manage to update your image using this Windows Update PowerShell Module.

I think audit mode is still the best practice, at least I still do it that way and it works great.