4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 1:16 AM by sdfrausto

Barcode Scan Outputs Special Characters Instead of Numbers

Rookie

Hello,

We have 2 mobile computer scanners that are behaving oddly.  If we make a remote desktop connection to the terminal server of our vendor software, if we scan within that software, the string returned does not match the expected value; it appears to turn some numbers into special characters, and the order of characters has been changed.  In one example, a barcode with string "U558220345" gets output as "5582@)#$U%".  The scan returns normal when I am not inside the remote connection.  I contacted the vendor about this; their rep said that, while they have seen this problem before, the issue is not with their software, but with the configuration of the scanner.

I see that the Avalanche has a "Scan Config" menu item, but I'm not familiar with Avalanche at all, and I'm trying to find a way to determine why the barcode data is being "scrambled" as it is.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Barcode Scan Outputs Special Characters Instead of Numbers
          SupportEmployee

Hello,

We would be happy to help, but we do have a couple of questions.

What is the device/scanner  Manufacturer, Model, and OS in use?

What is the software you are using during the scanning process?

The Avalanche Scan Config option does not really set any parameters within the scanner. It is primarily used to apply network settings that were printed out from an Avalanche server. It is capable of applying registry keys if they were included to the scan to config profile.

• 2. Re: Barcode Scan Outputs Special Characters Instead of Numbers
            Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

Why would you need to have a remote desktop connection into the terminal server?

If you're scanning into a remote desktop environment you likely are using the device scanner wedge to handle the scan processing. I suggest increasing the intercharacter delay within your wedge application to something like 10-20ms.

• 3. Re: Barcode Scan Outputs Special Characters Instead of Numbers
              Rookie

The devices are Motorola MC9190-G Mobile Computers, using Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5 Classic.  The terminal server they are connecting to is running the Sequential Parts Delivery suite by InSequence.

I read up about Scan Config by finding the manual for Avalanche here.  I haven't been with this company very long, and there have been several instances where I had to learn things as I went along.

Thank you for any help.

• 4. Re: Barcode Scan Outputs Special Characters Instead of Numbers
                Rookie

That's how the vendor software works; each device uses a different login profile, depending on what role is being accomplished.

I'll have to figure out how to modify the scanning wedge.  Thank you for the advice.

Update:  I found a PDF file showing where that "Intercharacter Delay" setting was.  On the affected devices, the delay was at 0...whereas, on a working device, the delay was at 10.  I changed the delay to 10...and after that, the scan decoded properly!  Thank you very much for the advice!