7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 2:45 AM by MarXtar

Launching Packages

Rookie

Hi all,

I do have the following question and looking for help.
      Our Office 2013 base setup is as default in English.
      For all other regions we do offer the Menus and Help in their native language. This is done via the Microsoft Language Packs.
      For those Associates keeping Menus and Help in English and do require spellcheck, thesaurus etc. in their native language, we do additionally offer the Microsoft Proofing Tools.

All of these add-ons we do make available in the Portal Manager:
      17 Language Packs
      24 Proofing Tools
      All together 41 Packages

If I will enable all 41 Packages in the Portal Manager, this is confuseing the Associates if do believe.

My plan is to show in the Portal only one Package for the Language Pack and another for the Proofing tools.

Launching one of these does bring up a Menu with checkboxes and an OK button (both isn’t my problem). Here the Associate can choose what Language will be installed.

e.g.:
      Microsoft Language Pack setup:

1. German
      2. Italian
      3. French
      4. Etc.

OK

Is there a way to launch a specific Package via command line or executable?
      Like: sdclient.exe /launch=”Packagename”

• 1. Re: Launching Packages
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Have you considered creating package bundles for each language so that each bundle contains what is needed for that language? Then you could just assign the bundles to the portal?

Available in 9.6

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 2. Re: Launching Packages
            Rookie

Yes, I stared with creating Bundles.

I had assigned two Bundles to the Portal, one including the Language Packs, another the Proofing Tools. If one Bundle is launched from the Portal, it does install all Packages in the Bundle incluted (all Language Packs are approx. 3GB, Proofing 2GB. this I don want to have on 11.000 computers ). And the combination of installed Packages does vary form computer to. We only need one, two or maybe as maximum three different languages installed on a single PC.

• 3. Re: Launching Packages
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

LD10 will 'possibly' answer some of this. What you might consider is a two-step approach.

You talked about having a package that sets up a menu they choose from. If you have this write to the registry you could have it launch an inventory scan to send it the the server. You could than have packages set up and targeted against the presence of these registry keys.

So all you have is one app that gives a menu, following that the right packages get installed (but it will take a bit of time for the system to become the target and for it to check for policies).

An alternative could be to set up custom vulnerabilities in patch management. You can specify a command line that remediates an individual vulnerability (set up a repair task and you'll see an example of it when you look at the package properties). You could have your menu call that.

Just some ideas, maybe someone else has something better.

Mark McGinn

• 4. Re: Launching Packages
                Rookie

Hello Mark,

I do like the idea with the registry keys, as this is simple and I could target other Packages with this way also.

Do have to write into a specific key or can this be anywhere in the registry?

Like:

HKLM\Software\Landesk\LDKeys\Microsoft  --> for Computer Packages

and

HKCU\Software\Landesk\LDKeys\Microsoft  --> for User Packages

Many thanks for your quick response!

• 5. Re: Launching Packages
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Probably the easiest place is under the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\Inventory\Custom Fields or HKLM\SOFTWARE\WoW6432node\Intel\LANDesk\Inventory\Custom Fields keys

Anything you put in here will automatically get picked up by the inventory scanner. When you first test this and return the first inventory scan you will probably need to go to Configure - Service - inventory - Unknown Items and allow your new field(s) through otherwise they won't appear in the inventory.

Mark McGinn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Launching Packages
                    Rookie

Thank you Maxtar for your tips and so far I got it working. At the moment I am struggeling with two problems.
                    If the keys are entered and I do run the inventory scan, it does take at least till the next morning the device does appear in the query and the Package is getting deployed.
                    This delay will be too long as the Associate does expect, if they did activate the install the Language Pack will be at least 10 minutes later available.

The other problem I am running into is, the Menu I do display is has to run as the Actual User. Otherwise the Menu isn't visible.
                    Our local User type is Standard. Therefore there are missing permissions to the registry and the Menu script can’t write to the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\WoW6432node\Intel\LANDesk\Inventory\Custom Fields.

Oliver

• 7. Re: Launching Packages
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Oliver,

The time before the machine appears in the query can be changed under Configure - Services - Scheduler - Query Evaluation (or similar, don't have access at the moment). The default is to refresh the query once per hour. See what yours is.

The other part of this is when the system will next check for available policies. If your agent config only checks once per day then that might be why you have to wait until then. Either make this a bit more frequent or look at a way to locally schedule another policy check for about an hour in the future. Take a look at Manage Scripts and Local Scheduler Tasks to see how this might be put together.

Then, regarding the rights, that is a bit more fiddly. You 'could' modify the rights so users can write to that location, but perhaps instead you could look at creating a file and using that as the hook. Perhaps you could use a file extension that is different and pick it up using the Data File Extensions option then use that as the target of your query.

One last thought on the policy itself. If you set it as a policy supported push and have it run every hour but only to those that haven't yet run the task, you could speed up the deployment following them requesting it.

Mark McGinn