2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 3:49 AM by mgeertsen

How can I efficiently report on actual Java (JRE) usage?

Expert

Hello.

We would like to investigate how much Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is actually being used on our devices. The end goal is minimize the number of devices that have JRE installed by removing it from the devices that doesn't use it.

I initially thought it would be rather simple to create a query that would show it to me based on "Software usage monitoring" data, but that was before I discovered that JRE can in fact be launched by 4 different processes (java.exe, javaw.exe, javaws.exe and jp2launcher.exe) depending on how Java is being used (desktop application vs. web applet and such).

My main problem is that the same device can have multiple versions of JRE installed at the same time - both in regards to 32/64bit but also different major versions (Java 5/6/7/8). So I can't just query for the 4 files where their path is like i.e. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\JRE%" and last launched is null or before a certain date as such query would "mix" all the different instances if one of the files where launched in one instance and another file where launched in a different instance.

Have anyone successfully done reporting like this on JRE usage?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

/Michael

• 1. Re: How can I efficiently report on actual Java (JRE) usage?
          SupportEmployee

Hey Michael, it sounds like you are currently using LDMS queries to try to gather this information.

Have you tried making products in SLM for this? SLM allows you to create criteria for what makes up a product and can sometimes get you closer than simply using LDMS queries.

Here is the main page for SLM if you are not already familiar with it.

Software License Monitoring

Let us know if that helps

-Brandon

• 2. Re: How can I efficiently report on actual Java (JRE) usage?
            Expert

I had a good friend of mine help me with this from a SQL point of view, and he came up with the SQL below.

It's not perfect, but it will point you in the right direction. It will query for all instances of the 4 JRE related files found in their default paths. It will then group them based on the path, get the version of java.exe in that path, combine the total "Times run" values for all 4 files in the path and display the latest "Last run" value for the 4 files to show when JRE was last used.

with temp as 
            (SELECT DISTINCT A0.DISPLAYNAME, A0.TYPE, A2.OSTYPE, A1.PATH, A1.VERSION, A1.SCM_SESSIONCOUNT, A1.SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART  
            FROM Computer A0 (nolock) 
            LEFT OUTER JOIN AppSoftware A1 (nolock) ON A0.Computer_Idn = A1.Computer_Idn 
            LEFT OUTER JOIN Operating_System A2 (nolock) ON A0.Computer_Idn = A2.Computer_Idn  
            WHERE ((A1.FILENAME = N'java.exe' OR A1.FILENAME = N'javaw.exe' OR A1.FILENAME = N'javaws.exe' OR A1.FILENAME = N'jp2launcher.exe')
            --AND A0.TYPE LIKE '%server%' --Servers
            AND A0.TYPE NOT LIKE '%server%' --Workstations
            AND (A1.PATH LIKE N'%c:\Program Files\Java\JRE%' OR A1.PATH LIKE N'%c:\Program Files\Java\J2RE%' 
            OR A1.PATH LIKE N'%c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\JRE%' OR A1.PATH LIKE N'%c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\J2RE%'))   
            )
            SELECT 
                [DISPLAYNAME]
                , [TYPE]
                , [OSTYPE]
                , [SHORTPATH]
                , (SELECT TOP 1 [VERSION] FROM temp WHERE LEFT([PATH], LEN(B.[SHORTPATH]))=B.[SHORTPATH] 
                            AND [DISPLAYNAME]=B.[DISPLAYNAME] AND [PATH] LIKE '%java.exe') AS [VERSION]
                , [SCM_SESSIONCOUNT]
                , [SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART]
            FROM (
            SELECT 
                MAX([DISPLAYNAME]) AS [DISPLAYNAME]
                , MAX([TYPE]) AS [TYPE]
                , MAX([OSTYPE]) AS [OSTYPE]
                , SUM([SCM_SESSIONCOUNT]) AS [SCM_SESSIONCOUNT] 
                , MAX([SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART]) AS [SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART]
                , [SHORTPATH]
            FROM
            (SELECT     
             [DISPLAYNAME]
             , [TYPE]
             , [OSTYPE]
             , ISNULL([VERSION], '') AS [VERSION]
             , ISNULL([SCM_SESSIONCOUNT], '') AS [SCM_SESSIONCOUNT]
             , ISNULL([SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART], 0) AS [SCM_LASTSESSIONSTART]
             , ISNULL([PATH], '') AS [PATH]
             , REVERSE(
                SUBSTRING(
                    REVERSE([PATH]), 
                    CHARINDEX('\', REVERSE([PATH])),
                    LEN([PATH])
                 )
             ) AS [SHORTPATH]
            FROM 
                temp) AS [A]
            GROUP BY [DISPLAYNAME], [SHORTPATH]) [B]
            ORDER BY [DISPLAYNAME], [SHORTPATH], [VERSION]

Example output:

JRE_usage.png

As mentioned, not perfect, but still usable.

CAUTION: Use at own risk - script provided "as is" with no guaranties! It's a heavy query for large installations!