3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 10:44 AM by MarXtar

Synchronize Preferred Servers

scots Apprentice

I've setup Preferred Servers and am attempting to use Robocopy to synchronize the packages directory on the servers.  I used this document as a guide to set this up.  The line in my script looks like this:

LocExec1=F:\robocopy\Robocopy.exe
      LANDESK\packages
      A001\packages /mir /IPG:3

I have more than one Preferred Server, so I setup a separate line for each server.  When the script runs it works for the server that's in the first line only.  Nothing gets copied to any of the other servers.  I tried changing the server names around, and it always only works for the first one.   Have I done something incorrectly?  Is there some way I can do this with one script rather than setup a separate script for each server?  I've attached a copy of the script.

• 1. Re: Synchronize Preferred Servers
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

This is something I've used in the past.  It is a batch file that uses an external text file as a reference.  The external file is simply a list of servernames or ip addresses. e.g.

Server1

Server2

I've attached the bat file (as a .txt for safety).  Just edit the locations and you should be fine (also check that the switches are OK for your needs).  The log file means you have a central report of all of the replication activity.

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: Synchronize Preferred Servers
            scots Apprentice

I kept playing with it and figured it out.  It was the LocExec at the start of each line.  I had them all as LocExec1.  Changed them to LocExec1, LocExec2, LocExec3, etc and now it seems to be working.

• 3. Re: Synchronize Preferred Servers
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Be careful with that script.  Edit one of your lines so that it would fail and make sure that all of them complete.  If they do not, then use the following in the script:

ABORT_ON_CMD_FAILURE=0

This should mean it carries on.

Take a look at the script i gave anyway.  It removes any future need to edit your script as you just change the named in the reference file or add a new one rather than having to add a new command in the script itself.  The log can come in useful too.

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk