5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2015 2:15 PM by mmorales

Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.

Rookie

Is there a way to trigger a notification based on a field on a window being updated by the user?  The specific scenario is that I want to send an email notification when the start date on a change ticket is modified.

• 1. Re: Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.
          Andrew Swindells SupportEmployee

Hi,

You could consider:

1. Create a new action in Process Designer - 'Modify Start Date' and set the associate to window = true.
          2. Create a new window under the Change object and add the Change Start Date to it.
          3. Create a window rule so that when the 'Modify Start Date' action is used show the window  from step '2'.
          4. Modify your process so that it looks something like the image below.

1.png

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas at least?

:-)

• 2. Re: Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.
            Rookie

Thanks Andrew.  That is helpful. I was originally thinking that since I set the Start date to Auditable that there might be a way to leverage that to determine when the value of the field changes but couldn't figure out how.  I will try your suggestion.

• 3. Re: Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.
              Expert

ASWINDELLS could you make a precondition with a calculation that checks an attribute to see if had been updated/changed and if it is, allows for the automatic action to be processed once the form is saved?  I was thinking of this the other day, but since it is not a collection, I couldn't think of a way to check previous entry.

• 4. Re: Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.
                Rookie

I had originally set this up to copy the current Start Date to a new Previous Start Date attribute and was going to create a condition that checked if they were different as a way of detecting an update to the field. But I can't figure out how to do that check every time the form is saved.  Andrews idea of creating an action that needs to be executed by the user to change the original Start Date will be the method I'll go with if I can't figure out how to do it without using an Action.

• 5. Re: Trigger a notification based on change in value of field.
                  Expert

If you create a condition, place the calculation within the condition, when the value is changed and the form is saved, it will run against the condition automatically after save.  So, if you need to come back to the same status, you would just have your add reminder after the precondition and connect back to the status following it.

I had thought about creating an additional attribute to store a copy of the reference entry, but I didn't want to create an additional attribute.  I couldn't think of a way to write the calculation, so I shelved it.  My intention was to have a reference list, if the current selection is changed to another item in the list and the form is saved, do something else(automated action).